Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Transcription errors

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stephen

Stephen Report 19 Aug 2011 12:41

I can't find any evidence that a facility exists to report transcription errors from handwritten records. Such a facility would be useful.
For example in the 1861 census, I had great difficulty in locating an ancestor whose surname had been transcribed as Kutty, when it was in fact Kirtley.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 19 Aug 2011 12:52

The facility is available on both Findmypast and Ancestry., but no such facility on Genes as the records held are not theirs, for amendments to Genes records you would have to do it via Findmypast (both owned by Brightsolid).

Both have totally different systems.

Ancestry will leave the original but there will be an indicator to show amendments are attached.

Findmypast will review any submitted amendments and if they agree they will alter the entry,however, if it shows that the original is exactly how is was transcribed they will not amend it.

However, most transcribers do not actaully make errors they merely type what is written. So if on the original it looks more like Kutty than Kirtley it will not be changed. My grandad on the 1911 is transcribed as Regniald, when you look at the orignal this is how his father wrote his name, so although he was Reginald I cannot have this amended as it is not how his name is written.

Stephen

Stephen Report 19 Aug 2011 13:37

Thanks. I noticed on Ancestry that people had already suggested Kirtley. I wasn't aware that the data used by Genes was from another source.

Joy

Joy Report 19 Aug 2011 14:47

Interestingly, a member of genes reunited staff posted

"Also, there is some reference to the idea that Genes Reunited don't hold our own records. I can assure you that all records you find on Genes Reunited are hosted by Genes Reunited. We pay commission to record providers in order to supply these records to our members, and at no time do we divert you to other sites to gain access to the records."

here:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1277211?d=desc

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Aug 2011 20:15

So, report the problem to

[email protected]

and provide full details

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 20 Aug 2011 20:22

Surely "We pay commission to record providers in order to supply these records to our members" means (well to me anyway) that they are paying the holder of those records for access to them, which means they are not their own records but someone elses that they have access to?

Or am I reading this incorrectly!

jax

jax Report 20 Aug 2011 21:39

If Genes transcribe there own records...why is my ex's grandmother on the image but not transcribed on both FMP and Genes 1911 census

Surely they both did'nt miss her?

jax