Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Just enroled

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

paul victor

paul victor Report 23 Aug 2011 17:12

Well just paid a subscription and put in details of father and brother and cannot find a thing a total waste of tewnty pound.Also found out im married to a person who was never born. Yours totaly frustrated by rubbish site./

jax

jax Report 23 Aug 2011 18:11

I would suggest that you are doing something wrong perhaps?

Are you putting in too much infomation?

Rambling

Rambling Report 23 Aug 2011 18:13

Are you putting in too much info Paul? sometimes that is the case. Or as regards the person never born...if i put in my birth year for example I won't show up... my birth being registered in the first quarter of the FOLLOWING year.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 24 Aug 2011 15:08

Hello Paul and welcome to the boards - even though you sound very frustrated with things!

If you are looking for something in particular, why not post the details on one of the other boards?

There are two to choose from....Find Ancesters and Find Living Relatives.

There are a lot of very friendly members who will be willing to help you out.

Regards. Cx.

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 25 Aug 2011 07:48

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/living_relatives/thread/1278292

PAUL'S THREAD

:-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Aug 2011 01:19

to which he has not returned, just as he has not returned to this thread.

Cynthia ........................................................ :-D

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 26 Aug 2011 05:52

He read my PM email but no acknowledgment
:-S

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Aug 2011 06:15

Cynthia sends very nice pms telling people how to return to their threads.

Hence my call to her :-D

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 26 Aug 2011 08:05

Yep. Sent one on 24th - no reply.

He has either opened it or deleted it - either way shows a white envelope.

Have sent another one just now.

Your wish is my command................. :-D

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 26 Aug 2011 10:28

Well-the original message was not exactly polite so why are you surprised :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Aug 2011 19:54

:-D

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 26 Aug 2011 20:55

Perhaps he is too scared to return after all the flak he has been subjected to. For goodness sake, he is a brand new member!

Rambling

Rambling Report 26 Aug 2011 21:40

"all the flak" IGP? where? A bit of advice that 'less is more' and a PM from Cynthia ( always nice) on how to return to the thread...

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 26 Aug 2011 21:42

I don't think he is scared at all. He is simply someone who is struggling with the system and been frustrated by it. I have had several pm's just today from people who are confused by the boards and how to use them.

I can assure you that the messages I send out are very polite and friendly - I don't 'do' flak and I have every sympathy with new folk.

Paul hasn't opened my last message as yet so we will have to wait and see what happens.

Hope he makes it back.

Cx

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 27 Aug 2011 00:04

Perhaps, he has the answer he wanted on the other thread & do not feel the need to return ..............But it is possible his father's brother's wife is still with us.

:-)

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Aug 2011 10:56

Comments on here about not returning? whether he has or has not read pm's? I'd be a bit scared if I was a new member and read things like this.

Nor would I welcome unsolicited pms telling what I should or should not be doing, however polite, friendly and well intentioned they might be. Others may disagree, but this is something which I think is inappropriate.

Replying to specific requests for help or guidance is completely another matter, which I am all for.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 27 Aug 2011 12:14

I'm sorry you find my way of helping new members inappropriate IGP but, judging by the amount of pms I receive thanking me, it is much needed.

So many tell me that they haven't a clue how things work on here and would totally have missed the replies they have received had I not given them some guidance on how to find them.

Quite a few of the success stories on here would not have happened if I had not sent a message in the first place and many more people would be disillusioned with the site.

Cx

jax

jax Report 28 Aug 2011 02:12

So what would you do IGP?

If a new member is waiting for a pm to say they have had a reply to their thread which is not going to come from GR as we know, should we just leave it and let them work it out for themselves? then they decide not to renew because we are not very helpful....not a very good advertisement for GR is it?

Maybe when Paul returns to his threads he can then explain what problems he is having, and with Cynthias help he should find his way back soon.

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 28 Aug 2011 04:51

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/living_relatives/thread/1278293

PAUL DID RETURN TO START A NEW THREAD <3

Paul has posted 3 times.........one complaint & 2 threads

:-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Aug 2011 04:59

ah well!