Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Announcements : Social Networking Survey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 2 Sep 2011 14:36

Well no surprise there then Joy

If they can not take notice of comments posted on these boards are they going to bother with results from a survey.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 2 Sep 2011 13:14

I sign in using nz, uk etc.

Genes reunited are taking the survey results with a pinch of salt (from facebook comment).

wisechild

wisechild Report 2 Sep 2011 13:08

Yes, that crossed my mind too.
Not really the point though. There´s nothing to indicate that the survey is for
.co.uk members only. There are still lots of members on that site who don´t live in the UK.

RobG

RobG Report 2 Sep 2011 13:03

But maybe you are a member of genesreunited.co.uk, whereas Gai says she is a member of genesereunited.com.au
Just a thought.

Gai

Gai Report 2 Sep 2011 13:00

I just did it and for the where do you live question just clicked other and it didn't ask me to specify where I lived.

Talk about poorly done but then I don't know why I bothered given the response on FB from GR about surveys.

Gai

wisechild

wisechild Report 2 Sep 2011 12:43

That´s funny because I´ve completed it & I live in Spain.

Gai

Gai Report 2 Sep 2011 09:58

I can't complete the survey from Facebook because I don't live in the UK. I wondered why I didn't see the survey on the Facebook page and only became aware of it when Joy messaged me about it. When I asked the question of GR on Facebook the response was:

Hi Gai - The reason you did not see the post about the survey is because you are an AU member. As this survey was to take a look at how members in the UK use social networks, we set up the post so that only UK members would see it. I'm sure we will follow this survey up with a worldwide version, but for now, the information we needed to gather was for UK based people only.

I thought I was going mad because I could find it on the FB page and now I know why. :-)

Patricia

Patricia Report 2 Sep 2011 09:40

Ah thanks TootyFruity, never thought of that, nothing mentioned on site about storing any info.

I do wish people would stop asuming that everyone who goes on Facebook and/or Twitter 'speak' to the world and his wife!!!

I am on both, and all my 'friends' are family, workmates, other dog showing freinds and a few from a club I belong to. I also have some family that are serving in Afghanistan, and for making sure they are safe these sites are invauable!

Yes you read about stalkers etc [but since when has news ever reported good news??] but have your privacy settings right and don't add people you don't know then you should be ok. In the 3 or so years I have been on I still only have about 100 'friends' and have only ever blocked and reported one person

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 2 Sep 2011 08:12

Patricia the survey knew you had already completed it on Facebook because I suspect when you were redirected to Zoomerang they captured you ISP address to prevent a person completing the survey multiple times and so dilute the results.

RobG

RobG Report 1 Sep 2011 22:38

Well Mr Van Der Kuyl, you might rightly regard this site as a "more socal product" than others in your portfolio, such as FMP or Scotlands People. But it is not a Social Networking site. The General Chat board may get close, but this is a GENEALOGY site. I PAY to use this site because of that. If you wish to turn this in to a social networking site, then let us know and we can go elsewhere. Also, if you continue to try to force us in to using those other sites to get information or offers about this same site that we PAY to use, again, let us know and we can go elsewhere.
I have no wish to be "friends" with half the planet, many of whom I have never met!. Similarly, I do not feel the need to know what Stephen Fry had for breakfast, nor to know the thoughts of any mini-celebrity that fit in to 140 characters.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 1 Sep 2011 22:21

"this site gets blocked now and again as 'Social Networking'........"
because, presumably, as one can read in here:

http://www.business7.co.uk/insider-magazine/latest-news/2011/08/08/the-it-guru-developing-a-genealogy-giant-106408-23328332/

""Genes Reunited is much more an entry level platform which is much easier to understand how you get into the hobby of genealogy from day one and then you can use it as a place to build. It is a much more social product as well."

Patricia

Patricia Report 1 Sep 2011 21:38

I want to know why when I clicked on the link from GR it 'knew' I had already done it on FB, no where did it tell me it was storing any details prior to my filling it in.

Also if you answer no to following GR on Twitter they assume you don't use Twitter at all, well I do but don't want to follow GR on there.

One thing I am finding rather amusing about these threads and people saying I don't use Social Network sites is I often come on here at work, now we have a very rigid IT protocol, sites such as FB, Twittter, gaming etc are blocked, fair enough that doesn't bother me, but this site gets blocked now and again as 'Social Networking'........

Neil

Neil Report 1 Sep 2011 19:44

Ther is an underlying assumption built in to this 'survey', and that is that everyone uses social media sites - see final question. This of course is plainly untrue. I would hazard a guess that a majority of GR users do NOT use any such site, but the survey does not ask that question and I suspect that those of us who have answered the final question with a narrative " I do not use any social media sites" will be ignored.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Sep 2011 18:47

Why is it racist? Racism is the belief that one race is better than another or, hostility towards people of other races.....!

I can also se why GR use Facebook as they are likely to get a far bigger audience that they would posting on the boards which only has an audience of a few hundred members.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 1 Sep 2011 16:17

For goodness sake! it is racist:
"Which region of the UK do you live in?"
or whatever the correct description is for excluding participation for those that live outside of the UK. If one clicks on "Other, please specify", then there is nowhere to specify :-S

No, thank you, I will not participate in such a survey that excludes many people.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 1 Sep 2011 13:26

Genes reunited staff - please communicate with your members here in your site (as I have requested previously) and ask if and how they use social networking, rather than use a survey.

Your announcement in your site, here, was posted several hours after it was posted on your page in facebook - is that not unfair on your members? many of whom may not wish to use facebook nor twitter.