Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Poor transcription!!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Margaret

Margaret Report 11 Sep 2011 00:31

Which unit in WW1 was E.O.S.B. and the K.O.S.E. ??? I'm searching for my Grandfather Daniel Aitken, found four of this name and two were recorded with the above units? I'm not a historian but do you think they may have been with the K.O.S.B. :-S Maggi

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Sep 2011 01:00

have you tried googling??

or looking for a WW1 specific site to see if they can answer your questions?

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Sep 2011 01:05

KOSB ....... possibly King's Own Scottish Borderers

see ancestry listing of dead in WW1

UK, Soldiers Died in the Great War, 1914-1919

Name: Daniel Aitken
Birth Place: Glasgow, Lanark
Residence: Glasgow, Lanark
Death Date: 25 Dec 1918
Death Location: France & Flanders
Enlistment Location: Glasgow, Lanark
Regiment: King's Own Scottish Borderers
Battalion: 2nd Battalion
Number: 6220
Type of Casualty: Died
Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

OR

Birth Place: Edinburgh, Midlothian
Residence: Edinburgh, Midlothian
Death Date: 3 Jun 1918
Enlistment Location: Edinburgh, Midlothian
Regiment: King's Own Scottish Borderers
Battalion: 6th Battalion
Number: 41568
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Comments: Formerly 26343, Scot. Rifles

but there are also these two deaths

Birth Place: Dunfermline, Fifeshire
Death Date: 27 Apr 1918
Enlistment Location: Dunfermline
Regiment: Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)
Battalion: 4/5th (Angus and Dundee) Battalion (Territorial)
Number: 202349
Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

Birth Place: Coatbridge, Lanarks
Death Date: 8 May 1915
Enlistment Location: Larbert, Stirlings
Regiment: Princess Louise's (Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders)
Battalion: 1/7th Battalion
Number: 1839
Type of Casualty: Killed in action

sylvia

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 12 Sep 2011 22:54

I think Margaret knows what the KOSB is ........... and is complaining that whoever transcribed the records she pays for at this site did not have any idea what they were doing :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Sep 2011 23:34

But we ALL know that transcribers are under restrictions on all these genealogical sites

They MUST put what they see, not what they think (or even know) what it should be.

So, if they see a B as an E, then they have to put E

If they see Jessie, but know it should be Jesse, they MUST put Jessie.

....... so it might not be (or even probably is not) a case of not having any idea of what they were/are doing, rather that the handwriting was so bad, or so hard to read, that the transcriber really did have trouble making out the letters.

I really dislike this habit of blaming the poor transcriber and saying or implying that he/she doesn't know what they are doing!

sylvia

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 13 Sep 2011 12:48

As most transcribers do so for free just be thankful that there are any records to be looked at!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Sep 2011 19:36

hear, hear, PP

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 13 Sep 2011 23:15

I don't know why transcribers want to work for big corporations for free ... is that the case for this website ? ... but regardless the corporation is responsible for the quality of the data it sells, if it relies on unpaid insufficiently skilled labour maybe it should make better arrangements ... if my comment appeared to be a criticism of volunteer workers rather than of the corporations that sell the fruit of their labours that was unfortunate ...

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 16 Sep 2011 13:01

Many who do transcribe for free do so in order that they can find their own ancestors. This is often the case with Parish Records.

Others do it as a part of their genealogy hobby.

Also some mistranscriptions will occur because they are done by Optical Readers direct to a computer, and as we know machines do not have the logic to query just do!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 16 Sep 2011 14:19

One of my ancestors relatives was called Georgiana. 'Helpful' people have managed to change this to Georgina because that is the spelling they expect to see.

It is all very well pointing out errors with hindsight or subsequent knowledge but as Sylvia has pointed out, transcribers MUST put down exactly what they see, even if they think it might be wrong.

jax

jax Report 16 Sep 2011 18:26

I found a couple of sisters who are in my tree living with a family and they have been transcribed as daughters, when it clearly says" Serv"

This is on ancestry...now someone has added an amendment to change their surname to that of the family aghhh

jax

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 16 Sep 2011 18:43

possibly it is not anyone who has amended the name ... where someone is shown as the child of another person in the household ( even if incorrectly ) Ancestry's program automatically adds the parent's surname as the name of the child and that name shows in [square brackets] as if someone had added it ... it is very annoying when not true but sometimes it helps identify a married daughter if you don't know her married surname :-)