Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ENH - Posting dates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 20 Sep 2011 12:32

Hi all,

Is there a way or could the site be designed that rather than having to always select the date to see the newest posts first on long threads that you can opt for this on any thread?

Or maybe there is a way and I just don't know it!

Just a little thing but it would be handy and that bit quicker. :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Sep 2011 13:17

Click on where it says "Post Date". The arrow on mine points upwards so you get the first post first and then the rest. When you click on "Post Date" the arrow changes round the other way and you can see the last post first.

Kath. x

jax

jax Report 20 Sep 2011 22:21

I never scroll through long threads Grace.... I get click post date as kath has mentioned

jax

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 21 Sep 2011 01:38

But you have to do that each thread you open..or I do anyway...can you choose to have it as a permanent option?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 Sep 2011 08:22

Yes, each time, but at least one click is better than having to select the last page and scroll down to the end.

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 21 Sep 2011 23:39

Well then could we ask for an enhancement and then it would do it automatically and be that little bit faster!!!!

please GR!!! :-) :-)

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 26 Oct 2011 23:56

Just following up, would be nice if I got an acknowledgement from GR.... :-) either yay or nay or what their opinion is...

If nothing else it would improve the speed of use for the user (us!) and I am all for that! :-) :-)

jax

jax Report 27 Oct 2011 00:04

Did you put the ENH in the title Grace?

If so maybe thats why? I was under the impression that Phil did it when he had looked at them and replied

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 27 Oct 2011 02:38

No I put it in, I thought that is what we had to do so that GR could straight way see if it was a bug, system enhancement or not?

I could be wrong of course :-) and i am not expecting anything to be changed but it would be nice to recive any sort on acknowledgement.

Poor Phil he must get quite overloaded with all of this!

jax

jax Report 27 Oct 2011 02:48

Phil did have a sticky thread about all these codes and said he would add them...but I dont know if it has been deleted or just disapeared off the page

But if you think about it, how many who want to complain or suggest something would understand the codes, especially newbies??

Or was it just me :-D

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 27 Oct 2011 04:00

No I get your point, and because it wasn't stickied who would know...although having said that I see people pop BUG in front of their posts so there must be some that do

It could have just been my brain thinking that way though, anything is possible lately!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Oct 2011 06:41

I remember Phil posting about setting up 4 categories

but I've never been completely clear as to whether we had to wait for GR staff to assign threads to the categories, or whether we were supposed to do it ourselves.

I did get the feeling it was supposed to be us.

As GR staff seem to have deserted this thread to all intents and purposes ...... not having seen Phil, Estelle, or anyone around for more than a couple of very short posts in the last few weeks ........... I think it probably better if we assign the codes ourselves :-D

Certainly this board is not getting the attention that it was getting in the early days!

sylvia

Kense

Kense Report 27 Oct 2011 07:18

If you could select the last post to be displayed first, you might find it annoying that you have to scroll through the thread to find out what it is about.

Just in case Phil is still using the codes why not prefix the title with:
Enhancement, Bug, Comment or Question, written in full. If everyone did that, the number of wrong board posts on this board might drop.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Oct 2011 08:15

Sylvia you are quite correct. He said he would try and classify what had been submitted already and, for the future, provide a user selected option for the poster to add it themselves.

So yes, I did get the feeling, that in the meantime, it was supposed to be us adding the prefixes too.

However, when I suggested this a few weeks ago certain members decided to shoot me down in flames.....!

So, how about it? I can not make things any worse.

jax

jax Report 27 Oct 2011 09:37

Sorry IGP but unless you used this board on a regular basis how would you know about any prefixes to add to your post??? Or is it going to be your job to inform everyone to do this?

Even if it was a stickie how many would read it??

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 27 Oct 2011 23:26

True but they could still do a drop down box when you post a thread in this bit of the forum.

Then you (a) could select the most appropriate code based on a desciptor
(b) would know that if you are looking for assistance in seacrching for a record etc, that this is not the right part of the board to post in.

Oh well, just my opinion, and you are right Jax, if people don't read stickied posts now on other threads why would this one be any different!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 28 Oct 2011 07:29

Yes, the idea of the drop down box is that you would be forced enter a code. In the meantime if people want to add them manually then we should be encouraging them to do so, not the opposite.

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 7 Nov 2011 00:40

Hi,

IGP I don't discourage people from placing a prefix to their thread title, I haven't seen anyone do that.

Would be nice if GR read this thread and made any sort of a comment :-)

jax

jax Report 7 Nov 2011 00:54

I think that was aimed at me Grace as I and others had Pointed out that Phil had said HE would add the prefixes when he had read them ect

jax

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1273480?page=0

I also note that quite a few thread titles are not particularly clear.

Therefore, as an exercise so that I can identify that I have reviewed all threads, I am going to

(a) prefix thread titles with ENH, BUG, CMT, QST to idicate type - (I hope to implement a topic type selection in a later release)

So as you can see Grace... Phil says HE is going to do it....but what do I know???

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 7 Nov 2011 04:24

Thanks Jax, I have been away and I couldn't remember if I had suggested to anyone not to prefix anything, I didn't think I had...

:-)