Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

REFUND PLEASE

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lisa

Lisa Report 26 Sep 2011 16:18

I do not use this site anymore, so you can imagine my shock when i logged into my paypal account today to see that £14.95 had been taken for 6 months standard subscription. The money i had clearing in my account was ment for food for my kids to last until thursday. I also have a pending transaction with paypal so i will not be happy if i get charged £25 for an unauthorised item payment due to this £14.95 being taken. Surely the option to automatically take payment should be set to NO as im this has happened to loads of people, it has happened to a few people i know. I would like a refund asap please. :-|

jax

jax Report 26 Sep 2011 16:32

You have a choice of continuous o r single payment as far as I am aware.

jax

I just went into my account and I have auto renew on which I would think you must have aswell

My Subscription details You currently have a 6 month Standard subscription
You subscribed on 19th July 2011
Your membership expires on the 20th January 2012
Automatically continue your subscription

If you would like uninterrupted service, we can automatically renew your subscription when your current subscription expires. If you do not want us to do this, please select "Auto Renew Off".

Lisa

Lisa Report 26 Sep 2011 16:38

Yes you do but unless you are aware of this you cant change it. I didnt know there was an option. This should be set as a one off payment unless its changed not the other way round!

Lisa x :-S

Lisa

Lisa Report 26 Sep 2011 16:42

I dont this subscription at all and thought im entitled to a refund as i havent used anything within the "7 day cooling off period". I am a single mum of 2 and £15 is a lot of money for something i will not use.

jax

jax Report 26 Sep 2011 16:42

I think I have found that most things I have subscribed to will automatically renew unless I have told them not to

jax

jax

jax Report 26 Sep 2011 16:44

You are using the community board now.. so you are using the site which is all I pay for

jax

Lisa

Lisa Report 26 Sep 2011 16:46

yes to ask for a refund. this is appalling!

jax

jax Report 26 Sep 2011 16:48

Well you would do better to email them

This really is not the place to ask for your money back

jax

Lisa

Lisa Report 26 Sep 2011 16:52

i have but this is stressing me out and i want this sorted as is it is playing on my mind!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Sep 2011 04:41

Lisa

You HAVE to email them!

Unfortunately, you have used the site within the 7 days grace period by posting this thread.

I'm not sure how GR can help you now.

You might want to go onto the GR page on Facebook, and also post your question on there, and see if you get a faster response that way.

sylvia

TootyFruity

TootyFruity Report 27 Sep 2011 06:23

didn't they send you an email notifying you that your subs were up for renewal and this will be done automatically unless you go to your account and change the settings?

I received this email because my subs are up for renewal and was set to auto renew.

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 27 Sep 2011 10:04

Unless Lisa makes a claim via Paypal ?

:-S

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 27 Sep 2011 10:10

I had the same email as TF in July when my sub was due. I did nothing (deliberately) and my sub was renewed automatically.

The last time this same topic cropped up and someone contacted GR their request for a refund was refused because they had already used the sites subscribed member facilities on several occasions before deciding to contact them, just as SIC has described.

Gai

Gai Report 27 Sep 2011 11:25

Below is the email that I received on the 21st September.

Hello Gai,

Your membership to Genes Reunited is about to come to an end.

You don't need to do anything because you've asked us to continue your membership automatically.

We'll renew your membership for $19.95 on 4th October 2011 using the card you used last time. If we are unable to do this, for example because your card has changed, we'll let you know.

If you do not want to continue your membership, please go to Genes Reunited and change your membership type to 'single' in 'My account details'.

If you choose not to continue your membership you won't be able to contact other members to discover new ancestors. You will still be able to browse the site and access your tree.

Kind regards,

The Genes Reunited Team

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 27 Sep 2011 11:26

Lisa

It sets out in Genes terms and conditions how they will renew your membership. When you first join you have to click that you have read the terms and conditions so I really don't think you will be entitled to a refund as you have used these message boards.

You should have received an email from Genes telling you that your membership was about to automatically renew.

Kath. x

Genes

Genes Advisor Report 30 Sep 2011 13:53

Hi Lisa, please email [email protected] who will be more than happy to help you.

Estelle

Pauline

Pauline Report 25 May 2017 15:53

I too have just had money taken out of my account, that I can't afford, and did not want. I have found as much as I need to know, and have not used the site for over a year now. I could do with the £17.96 they have taken off me, put back into my bank. I did not as far as I am concerned, tell them to renew automatically. Pauline

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 May 2017 16:44

Pauline

it is useless to post on here. GR do NOT look on any of the threads these days

You MUST send an email to GR at ..........

[email protected]

Good luck!