Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Last page option

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

wisechild

wisechild Report 1 Oct 2011 14:37

Most sites have an option to go immediately to the last page of posts on threads.
Would it be possible for GR to do that?
It would be particularly helpful where there are several dozen posts on a thread.
Marion

Kense

Kense Report 1 Oct 2011 15:00

You almost have that by clicking on Post Date, although the posts are displayed in reverse order.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Oct 2011 17:51

In fact, taking this a step further it seems that many members don't realize that you can sort many of the GR pages this way.

Just look at the column heading and if there is an Up / Down Arrow then you can sort first / last, high low etc.

So, for example if you select Surname Summary, 14 days etc then click om Matches in my family tree you can sort in descending order, i.e. most names first.

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 3 Oct 2011 00:07

Raised previously but no response received from GR

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1280929

The point being that yes you can select teh most recent post on an individual thread but it would be nice to have this option as an elective choice you can make across the full board.. :-)

Estelle

Estelle Report 3 Oct 2011 13:25

Hi Marion, our threads are paginated so you can go to the last page to see the latest posts. If there is more than one page you'll see each page in the top right corner of the thread and at the bottom of it. You can then go directly to the last page.

Estelle

wisechild

wisechild Report 3 Oct 2011 13:36

Yes Estelle.
thanks for replying. I realise I can go straight to the last page, but often there are several posts on the page which I have already read.
It would make life so much easier to just be able to access the latest post, especially where threads have been running for a long time.

Estelle

Estelle Report 3 Oct 2011 14:19

I see what you mean Marion. We'll have a look and see if there is anything we can do here.

wisechild

wisechild Report 3 Oct 2011 14:30

Thanks Estelle.
Just for interest have just looked at the final page of a thread I´m following & had to scroll down 15 posts, 14 of which I had already seen.
Hopefully. Marion

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Oct 2011 19:05

I just tried changing to last page

........ and the very last post was at the top of the page

Second post I also had not read

Subsequent, lower, posts were older ones

So, for me, the very last post was at the top of the last page ........ and I ddin't have to scroll through already seen posts to find it.

so, I'm not sure what you're not seeing that I am?!

sylvia

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 3 Oct 2011 23:06

I'm the same as you Sylvia. If I click on "post date" then the very last post is at the top and can be seen first without having to scroll through any other posts.

Personally I prefer to leave the posts with the earliest first so that you can read through a thread if you want to so that it makes sense, but for threads which run into several pages then it is quite easy to click on "post date" and see the last post first.

Kath. x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Oct 2011 03:24

Hi Kath

I always have earliest post first, and then click on more pages to see tha latest postings

I just prefer it that because I can follow the sequence of postings better.

But that is my personal preference ....... and I would really not like it to be changed!

I am just finding it difficult to understand why Marion is having to scroll through older posts before seeing the most recent one if she is going to last page.

sylvia

AmazingGrace08

AmazingGrace08 Report 4 Oct 2011 05:02

Maybe wisechild means that she just wants to see the most recent posts on the thread (which I agree come up first when you select it).

Sigh how come on another forum I just looked at you can select that option and it makes the changes across all other threads, so you don't have to make it each time.

Little conveniences all help to make the site a bit more enjoyable and easier to use...