Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

divorce records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


Jane Report 7 Oct 2011 13:02

Is there any divorce records that we can search in?
I need to find out what happened to my grandparents and when they divorced!! but don't know how to do it.......i'm also struggling to find info of people forward instead of going back, what searches can i use after 1911 to find out where people lived etc!!!
i'm a bit stuck!!


InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Oct 2011 14:34

This board is for you to add your suggestions for changes you would like to see made to Genes Reunited, not for help requests.

If you want general advice then use the Genealogy Chat board or if you want members to help with specific lookups then use either the Find Ancestors or Find Living Relatives Board.

For Divorce records, a good point to start it the National Archives - they have some info on their site which might help, but don't expect to find any records on-line.

In answer to your other question the main source of info will be the BMD records. Luckily after 1911 birth indices also show the mothers maiden name so you can search using that as well as the surname. Going forward is always more difficult though, especially if the name is a common one. Far easier to go backwards.

Certs will give you an address, but other than that you are left with the electoral rolls and, later, telephone directories, but only the more recent ER's are searchable by name.

Also look for names on GR or other sites. The just might be someone out there who also has a connection.

If you post some names and details on one or other 'Find' boards, as is appropriate, then someone will be happy to help.


Jane Report 7 Oct 2011 20:05

sorry for posting on the wrong board!!! thanks for the tips!!