Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Competition on Announcements

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 12 Oct 2011 10:58

Has anyone noticed the post about the competition. It is on Announcements. Posted 12 Oct and winner will be announced on 13th October.

I understand you are very busy putting your entry together. Very short time line isn't it. Have been wondering what types of war time photos people will come up with. My wartime photos cover WW1 and WW2. Most are either wedding groups or portraits.

Gai

Gai Report 12 Oct 2011 11:35

Now I made a suggestion a while back to say that when GR put something new on the announcements board there should be some icon etc to catch your attention to the new posting.

Nothing has happened yet and if I hadn't of seen your post Aunty Sherlock I would have never of known there was even a competition.

Joy

Joy Report 12 Oct 2011 12:04

Thank you, I would not have known either. Totally insufficient time for people across the world to send one. And I have just seen on facebook:

"Last week the Bletchley Park Trust announced it had been given a £4.6 million grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund towards the regeneration of Bletchley Park, the historic site of the war-time codebreakers. We have a found a very interesting book about the history of Bletchley Park and you could win a copy of it. Just post a war-time photo of your family with the story behind it by 10am tomorrow and we will pick a winner at random. http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/sep/25/secret-bletchley-park-sinclair-mckay"

RobG

RobG Report 12 Oct 2011 17:20

I'm sure there was something on the various boards earlier. Can't find it any more though :-S

Kense

Kense Report 12 Oct 2011 18:28

When I logged on this evening via the Community page the "NEW" icon against Announcements was the first thing I saw.

Gai

Gai Report 12 Oct 2011 21:22

KenSE,

So the NEW icon must only work for some members then.

Joy

Joy Report 12 Oct 2011 21:55

If I click on community then boards summary, now I can see the word NEW next to announcements but, if I click on announcements, then the word new is not there at all.
Earlier the word NEW was not next to announcements.

Kense

Kense Report 13 Oct 2011 08:11

It is not showing New for me today.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 13 Oct 2011 10:03

Good heavens! What short notice. How many of us can write a story in a day?

I have many wartime pictures but no way could I select the most interesting ones, spend time putting them on here and then writing a story about them in one busy day.

Who thought this bright idea up I wonder?

I have no New announcment showing so would have been oblivious to this thread.

Hope we hear back from The Team......

:-S

Estelle

Estelle Report 13 Oct 2011 11:17

Hi everyone, we don't need a full story, we just want to see your photos please! The competition is being extended till Monday to give you all time to sort out your best photos. The book arrived in the office this morning and it looks really interesting. Please post the photos to this page so everyone can see them:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/media/

philmoir

philmoir Report 13 Oct 2011 18:01

Re making announcements more obvious. We intended making changes to include in todays release, but making sure the parish records were complete caused this to slip into the next release cycle. We will get there :-)

Joy

Joy Report 13 Oct 2011 19:48

Thank you for extending the date.

Many photos are being posted in facebook but none here yet. Maybe more non-members have photos that they can post.

Gai

Gai Report 14 Oct 2011 11:32

Thanks Phil,

Good to hear that you are listening to the members and making improvements to the site.

Gai

Kense

Kense Report 17 Oct 2011 18:28

I see the winner has been announced on Facebook but nothing on the messageboards, not even on Announcements.

Joy

Joy Report 17 Oct 2011 20:06

And we were promised that such things would be posted in parallel.

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 17 Oct 2011 22:41

what a ridiculous mess up

one day to enter a competition ?

I have a great uncle who died in WWI, I would have dearly loved to tell his story ( he is a mystery ), but to find my photo, scan it ( figure out how to work my scanner again ), put together the story ...

oh and then I guess I should have read this thread or looked at the announcements board again to see that it had been extended ... even though I had no reason to look either place and only saw this fact now when I looked here

'we don't need a full story, we just want to see your photos please!'

so what is the basis for judging the competition ? :-S

ridiculous

and now not even kept up to date at this site

Joy

Joy Report 18 Oct 2011 15:59

I asked twice on facebook for the result to be posted in genes reunited - once yesterday, and again a little while ago. The result has been posted in the announcements board - at 15:55. Whether or not the winner is a member of genes reunited I know not; only two photos were posted in genes reunited.

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 18 Oct 2011 17:03

hm, how does one find them, and do we get to read the story ?

I would think that would be the transparent thing to do .................

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 18 Oct 2011 18:13

I've found this whole competition 'thing' quite contradictory and not very well thought out at all.

I've looked at all of the entries on FB and they are very interesting but there are no 'stories' as such. Most just have either a name of the person pictured or a very brief explanation of what is in the picture.

I have a feeling that the winner was actually the last entry posted and this is the 'story' behind it:

"This photo was taken in Spring 1940, and my Dad, Fred Mills is standing, second from the left. HMS Acasta was sunk by the German Battleships Scharnhorst and Gneisner on 8th June 1940 (on my 7th birthday) and all the crew were lost except one. The total loss from HMS Glorious, HMS Ardent and Acasta were 1531 men. My Dad has a grave in Narvik Cemetery but I don't know how he came ashore."

The picture shows a group of sailors gathered around a comrade holding what looks like a birthday cake. It is a poignant photograph for family members.

I do enjoy looking at the photographs which have been posted on FB by other members and there are some fantastic shots of bygone times. Competitions are not really necessary.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 19 Oct 2011 11:04

Drats. Missed it all. Now I'll have to go out and buy a copy of the book!!!