Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

BDM RECORDS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sheena

Sheena Report 14 Oct 2011 08:59

Hi everyone

Perhaps some one can help me.

I have Scottish Ancestors that I'm trying to trace and have joined Scotlands People and have found several family members which is just great.

I have been able to look at print off the page in the Register which records the Death of my Grandparents it tells me the date and time of Death also the address of where they died what they died of and who was present and who registered the Death. This infor is of great help My Grandmother died in 1940.

I have also been able to obtain the same records for Births which also gives the names of both parents and states when and where they were married ( in some casses this is most interesting)

The information is also available for marriages and gives the names of the Bride and Grooms parents.

The above information is easily obtained and you can purchase credits from Scotlands people which do not expire.

I would love to know if the same information is available for English BDM's it would be of great assistance to many people.

Many thanks for any explanation or assistance that can be given

Sheena down under in New Zealand

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Oct 2011 10:35

Sheena, if you look at the instructions at the top it says:-

"This board is for you to add your suggestions for changes you would like to see made to Genes Reunited. We will be unable to respond to each post individually, but we will be checking the suggestions regularly and taking your suggestions on board."

This sort of question is better suited to the Genealogy Chat Board.

However, in answer to your question, for England and Wales, unfortunately no, you can't see this sort of detailed information without purchasing the certificate as it does not appear on the GRO index.

This website is a useful source of information re E & W certs.

http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm

There are exceptions in that there are some local registers which have been transcribed, and in some cases, these do have some more information than you can see on the GRO Index.

Sheena

Sheena Report 14 Oct 2011 20:18

InspectorGreenPen

Many thanks for your response to my question it is very unfortunate the England and Wales don't have the same system and info available that Scotland's People has but never mind I will keep plodding on with my searches.

Sheena

RobG

RobG Report 15 Oct 2011 22:35

Sheena,
In addition to what IGP has already said, some of the info you mention is not even on the certs that you purchase, as they are different south of the border.
On births, it does't mention when nor where the parents were married.
Also, on marriages, it only mentions the happy couples fathers, no mention of their mothers.

Sheena

Sheena Report 17 Oct 2011 00:42

Hi RobG

Many thanks for your reply to my question what a pity they don't give names of parents and when married it would help. I'm aware that a lot of secrets that were locked away in cupboards and never mentioned are now accessiable though the Web what family doesn 't have a dark secret that is now coming out in the open many many years after the event.

Sheena

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 17 Oct 2011 03:32

Sheena

That information has NEVER been available on English or Welsh bmds

Scotland of course is different.

Scotland also did not start official registration of bmds until almost 20 years after England and Wales (ca 1855 vs 1837).

sylvia

Sheena

Sheena Report 17 Oct 2011 04:11

Hi SylvialnCanada

Many thanks for your response great to know how different coutries kept or kept there records.

You all do a great job in answering questions and helping and guiding people.

Sheena