Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Why charge for additional service?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Martin

Martin Report 18 Oct 2011 14:54

As a platinum member, I would expect to be able to access all services provided by genes reunited. When I receive advertising emails, like today regarding parish records, I find a record for an ancestor, but then get redirected to a payment page when I want to view the record. The same goes for military and passenger records, as well as overseas. I find myself being unable to justify the additional costs for each individual service. Why not lump them all in together for a "full" membership which would make the price seem more reasonable. OK, it mught be the same as adding it all up, but adding on bits here and bits there makes the whole point of platinum membership a bit pointless when there is so much that still cannot be accessed.

jax

jax Report 18 Oct 2011 15:46

If you look at FMP they have three different prices

Full £109.95 for 12 months which includes everything

or

Foundation £79.95 which only covers the census's and BMD

or

1911 only £59.95

So at least you have a choice...why pay for military.parish records or passanger lists if you dont need it?

Maybe in the future GR will have another package as in "Full" for an extra cost?

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Oct 2011 17:13

This is what GR have said on the topic of the new Parish Records, released 13 October 2011

"Included in this release

Parish records - We have millions of new Parish records available to search. Parish records are split into three categories: baptisms, marriages and burials. The search is free as always, and to view the transcriptions, you can either use Pay Per View or if you're on a Platinum package, you can buy the Parish Additional Feature (which costs UK£11.95 if you're on a 1/6 month subscription, or UK£14.95 if you're on a 12 month subscription). The records are supplied from many resources, and the PPV charge is defined in agreement with the source provider so it does change. For those using the additional feature, there is unlimited access. These records are really informative, and all the data transcribed from the original sources is available. At the moment, none of the datasets include original images, but we have more Parish datasets coming online in the next few months which do."

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Oct 2011 18:32

so you are paying extra because GR is paying another source for access to the records.

Just one question ......................

How do the new Parish records on GR differ from the Parish records available for free on family search at www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Oct 2011 18:38

answer is ........................

I couldn't find any of the records in GR Parish records that I found last night on the familysearch site

sylvia

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 Oct 2011 19:55

"I couldn't find any of the records in GR Parish records that I found last night on the familysearch site"

Don't understand the point of the statement.

There ARE records on GR that are not on FS - I know because I have proved that with my own research. Conversely, there will, no doubt, be records in FS that are not on GR.

What is more relevant is to have a reference list of what is included on the GR database so then we might be able to make a considered judgement as to how useful it might be.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 Oct 2011 19:58

IGP

oh dear, I thought it was very clear

In the previous post, I asked the question

"How do the new Parish records on GR differ from the Parish records available for free on family search at www.familysearch.org/#form=advanced-records"

I then did an, admittedly quick, search using names of people I had found the previous evening on familysearch

and discovered

"answer is ........................

I couldn't find any of the records in GR Parish records that I found last night on the familysearch site"

which I thought worth posting as it answered the question that I had asked.

Is that clear enough for you?

sylvia

Martin

Martin Report 21 Oct 2011 09:20

I still would like a membership class which includes everything. Surely it would be more simple than to include additional records for additional payments. I am also a full member of Ancestry.com because at least that gives me access to all records for my membership - it is just a shame that their tree visualisation tools are so woeful and their search is so much more awkward to use, otherwise I would not bother with Genes Reunited at all. I am quite sure that some, if not most members are quite happy with a reduced membership fee and paying extra only for the additioanl records they need, but I would be much happier with a full service - pay the asking price in one go, and get everything that there is on offer - new lists as well when they come out. Is that really so hard or so unpopular?

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 21 Oct 2011 15:17

It may be better to contact the Genes Team with that question Martin. We are just ordinary members like yourself.

If you are stuck in your research, have you tried asking for help on the Community boards? There are many members willing to assist, some of whom hold records for various localities/parishes/NBI etc. and are willing to search on your behalf.

Cx.