Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

stickied threads

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 1 Nov 2011 08:19

Time to clear a lot of the stickied threads , competitons TV progs etc clogging up the boards

Island

Island Report 1 Nov 2011 09:33

Agree.

Five GR stickies on General Chat detracts from the purpose of the board - can GR not stick to their Announcements board?

If some members complain that they missed something they would soon learn to look on GRs Announcement board.

There was already a Downton Abbey thread which a member had put up so there was no need for a duplicate (I thought that was against Ts & Cs?)

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Nov 2011 10:16

And just a few months ago there was a campaign going on for more stickies.

Oh well.....!

Island

Island Report 1 Nov 2011 10:54

Not from me there wasn't IGP

I take your point though - I've brought up topics in the past which were poo-pooed at the time only to have the same subject brought up by some one else at a later date and favourably discussed. :-S

I think it's down to a combo of 'face fitting' and 'flavour of the month'

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Nov 2011 00:28

I think the question might be

For how long should a post be stickied?

I saw, and still see, no point in the Downton Abbey thread by GR, as a means of stimulating discussion .... as Island says, there was already one thread started by a member.

But for how long should a thread commemorating a member who has died be "stuck"?

sylvia

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 2 Nov 2011 06:19

Are there not two types of stick to deal with?

1. Those which are notifications from GR and do not allow members to post on them. Where the content is no longer current these should be deleted after a period of time, say one month?

2. Stickies which do allow members to post their comment, such as the example mentioned commemorating a member. I can see that deleting these might upset certain members who have posted comments. Perhaps the option here would be not do delete, rather to unstickie but lock against any more postings. Say, after two months?

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 2 Nov 2011 08:29

Just a little weeding will do ,anyway that seems to have done the trick.,Its when you have to scroll down for ever to reach any current messages I see red !

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Nov 2011 23:45

I agree, Lindsey :-)