Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ENH: Widening date fields would be a great help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 5 Dec 2011 15:29

Would like GR to widen the date fields b,bap,m & d so that the easy to read format with spaces like 10 Jan 2012 will fit in. Much easier to copy and paste from other sources

I end up having to type in the dates which wastes a lot of time

The format 10/01/2012 fits but hardly anybody uses it :-(

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Dec 2011 22:17

Another problem with entering the date in numbers is the confusion with how the americans show dates

ie 9/11 to us here in the UK would be shown as 11/9.

So althought your idea/suggestion is great, I think many of us would really like Genes to sort out the myriad of problems they have with the site before they start tinkering with it again. Every time they tinker more problems arise. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Dec 2011 00:34

Living in North America, I find that I NEVER know what the date really is when written in numbers.

I always write the month out not in number ......... and so would prefer the ability to do that

However, as I no longer make any changes or additions to my tree on here, it really is of much less importance to me than correcting the myriad of operating problems that have plagued us for months and months.

It is at least 12 months since this site has worked properly.

sylvia

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Dec 2011 06:39

Agreed. It would be a useful change. It would also prevent problems when importing data from other tree programs resulting in data being trunkated when it is too long to fit.

For example In FTM I often use the notation Bet (Between) i.e. Bet 1881-1885 to denote a possible range of years. This gets corrupted when imported into GR for any short fields.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 7 Dec 2011 07:06

Glad some people agree with me. Would be more encouraging if GR staff acknowledge some of the suggestions people make. :-)

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Dec 2011 07:08

Put the prefix ENH: in front of your title to make your thread stand out as being an Enhancement

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 7 Dec 2011 08:29

I've done what you suggest but can you explain. Never to old to learn but I've not seen it mentioned before :-D

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 7 Dec 2011 11:27

Phil, GR team, had a thread on this board and he said he would put certain initials before thread headings

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 7 Dec 2011 11:43

Sorry, yes, it is the intention it will be a feature on this thread to allow members specify the type of posting, but in the meantime he is happy for us to add it manually.

jax

jax Report 7 Dec 2011 12:37

We have had this discussion before IGP about the ENH,BUG ect

Phil said he would put them there to show that HE had seen it

Why would any member who is not used to reading this board have any idea what these codes are, let alone know they have to add them?

Also I have not noticed any of the threads that you have instructed the poster to add a code acknowledged

So whats the point?

JerryH

JerryH Report 7 Dec 2011 13:18

Re ENH, i must admit that when I posted my suggestions for Tree Enhancements, and IGP made the same suggestion, I had not realised the significance.
In my case, Phil did however pick up the suggestion and pointed out in his reply that he has a seperate team working on Tree Enhancements such as this, so now is a good time to post.

There was another post asking for a Burial field to be inserted as well which I would also support.