Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

no Hot Matches as I use a Mac computer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eunice

Eunice Report 4 Jan 2012 18:54

does anyone else out there use a Mac computer and not get any Hot Matches? I have had nothing now for almost a year ..... I have from time to time asked why, but I am told I am no longer compatible even though for the 1st 5 years of membership I was!! I have been told to click on all the names in my tree individually to check if others are researching that particular name, but this is tedious and time consuming. Does anyone have any suggestions? I use both Safari and Firefox.
Thanks
Eunice

Gai

Gai Report 4 Jan 2012 23:18

Well that's interesting Eunice and maybe that's why my hot matches have stop.

I thought it was because I was the only numb skull try to search my family.

Gai

Eunice

Eunice Report 5 Jan 2012 00:28

LOL!! No, or me and you both maybe Gai! I regularly used to get 4 - 6 pages of names every 2 - 3 weeks but suddenly they stopped. I was told that my server - Safari - wasn't compatible with genes RU, but I could not understand this as I have only ever used a Mac computer. The help desk staff suggested I use Firefox but still to no avail. We will just have to wait for others to contact us I guess but it IS frustrating!!!!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Jan 2012 06:19

Sorry if I am missing something but I can't see what the connection between HotMatches and using a Mac might be. The particular PC or browser you use may not always allow certain web pages to display correctly but will not affect the HotMatch process itself which runs on GR's servers.

HotMatches were changed over a year ago as a result of lobbying from members to include place of birth. The effect of this is that there has been a dramatic reduction in the number received. I only get a couple each time these days instead of several pages.

GR have also hinted from time to time that there have been some problems with the process itself, which is subject to on-going improvement, but I don't have any more detail on this.

Gai

Gai Report 5 Jan 2012 07:36

IGP,

I would also be surprised if that's the reason my hot matches have stop but I haven't had a Hot Match in so long I can't remember the last time I did.

Gai

Eunice

Eunice Report 5 Jan 2012 11:05

Thanks IGP and Gai; I don't know the answer either, but I have just checked my records and my last HM was almost a year ago so nothing since then. Guess we are not going to solve this one so will 'put it to bed' so to speak. Thanks for your suggestions, both
E xx :-D

Lindsey

Lindsey Report 5 Jan 2012 11:56

I don't understand why GR has an issue with Safari. I love my MacBook and everything about it, including Safari but had so many issues that I've had to switch to Chrome for my research. Maybe GR should wake up to the 21st century.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Jan 2012 19:51

I haven't received notification of Hot Matches for many months

I use a desktop, with Windows and (now) Mozilla Firefox

However, I did click on Hot Matches in the dark green band above yesterday ....... and discovered pages of "new" HM's

All showed only 1 match ................... and most were not matches at all!

The name was usually the same, sometimes the year was the same .... but for most, there was no geographical connection

sylvia