Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

birth dates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kevin

Kevin Report 14 Jan 2012 12:33

as I don't know the birthdates of some members GR won't let me update older records as the birth dates are too soon. Surely you should be able to enter names without birthdates and also ancestors? My use of Gr has now come to an end 1 week after paying for it! Or am I missing something? :-(

Kevin

Kevin Report 14 Jan 2012 12:36

Also the help page returns 'error on page' is it always this bad?

patchem

patchem Report 14 Jan 2012 13:55

If you do not know birth date at all, put 0, or 1000, or some other obviously wrong date so no-one is misled.
Or just guess, and update when known.

You are not meant to put living members in your tree without their permission if the birth dates are very recent, so that 1000 will not work as children would be older than parents.

Kense

Kense Report 14 Jan 2012 15:22

There are boxes to ticl if you are unsure of birth and death dates.

Kevin

Kevin Report 15 Jan 2012 16:24

who on earth suggested I was putting people on without their permission??? Where did that come from? Putting known names first and then adding data as it is collated is the standard set down.
Thanks to those who read my thread.

Thread ends.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jan 2012 19:26

Thread ends when you delete it, Kevin

Otherwise it stays on the site, and people can continue to comment on here.

But, I think you have misunderstood what has been posted.

You were not being accused of posting living people without their permission.

Both Patchem and PP were just commenting that it is not wise.

Many people do not know this, and so it is common for helpers to advise care.

In fact, GR actually says that you should not, and ancestry has part of its tree programme set so that first names of people born within the last 120 years and no death date are automatically changed to Living (surname)

BTW ...... I'm not sure that you are aware, but everyone who helps on these boards are just members, like yourself, but with a love of research and helping others.

None of us are paid or otherwise supported by GR .......... and no GR staff help.

This board is supposed to be for suggestions to improve GR, or to report on bugs in the system

We were told originally that GR staff would be watching the Suggestions board, and responding. This seems to have gone into abeyance in the last few weeks.

sylvia

patchem

patchem Report 16 Jan 2012 22:21

As Kevin has said that the thread ends presumably he will not return.
However, in my defence/explanation, I did not want to accuse anyone of anything but he stated 'birth dates are too soon' which I interpreted as being recent births. If they are recent births but he did not know when, then I was just pointing out about permission for details of living people.

I assumed that Kevin's suggestion was to allow entries without birth dates, and I was just pointing out ways to get around this problem if GR did not get back to him.

Persephone

Persephone Report 17 Jan 2012 04:03

:-S I don't even understand what birth dates are too soon means? :-S

I have never had a problem with dates ... except when I put the wrong one and don't notice my mistake. ;-)