Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ATTENTION GR

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Jan 2012 00:45

You have paid little attention to the trouble caused 2 weeks ago when posts and threads were RR'd for no reason, and yhen removed by your staff.

This is now happening again.

RR'd in the last hour or so are the following threads

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1289963

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/ancestors/thread/1290062

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1290057

That last thread was seemingly asking for help for someone born in 1612 :-S

sylvia

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Jan 2012 00:50

Correct Sylvia

The third thread did not mention any website. I had looked at it but could not help with info that far back.

jax

jax Report 16 Jan 2012 02:17

I wonder if it is a GR staff member working overtime that is doing it :-D

Or perhaps someone doing work experiance? I cant see why another member would report these threads

jax

wisechild

wisechild Report 16 Jan 2012 07:56

Why would GR staff be working overtime when no one appears to be working during normal hours??

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 16 Jan 2012 08:16

The threads that were RR'd overnight appear to have been reinstated at about 8:00am UK time.

So what was that all about then?

If it wasn't a member of GR staff who referred them then it can only be an ordinary GR member. Maybe whoever they are they are suffering from some form of mental illness and are more to be pitied rather than scorned.

AuntySherlock

AuntySherlock Report 16 Jan 2012 09:36

http://www.genesreunited.com.au/boards.page/board/general_chat/thread/1289748?page=0

Could it possibly be that Estelle and trainee Lisa are practising. They spoke about doing so on the above thread a few days ago.

I had a quick look throught the "Testing" thread started by Estelle. None of the people who are asking questions on this thread have posted on the other thread. It has now slipped down the list a bit.

I may be way off beam. But it gave me cause to think of it as a possible reason.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 Jan 2012 10:01

If it were a trainee, one would have thought that they would have done it during office hours with someone looking over their shoulder, not at the dead of night. After all, members use this site 24/7 and the RR's have been spotted.

In my opinion, Jonesey's theory is more likely to be correct. If not that, then they have been finishing off the alcohol.

At least sense (and additional training?) has meant that the posts have been reinstated.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Jan 2012 18:47

I emailed GR last night, giving them the urls of those 3 threads ... and saying why I thought the Phantom was about .............. referring back to Monday and Tuesday Jan 3 /4

I got a response from Lisa .... the usual basically non-answered reply (the first part refers to the reinstating of my Careful thread):-

Thanks for your email. I am truly sorry for the length of time it is taking for our technical team to look into this problem.

At this stage, I am unable to say how long it is likely to be before we receive a response from our technical team, but please be assured that they are working through all the queries they have as quickly as possible.

Regarding the reporting of posts, please note that we can do nothing to stop members reporting posts as we must have this facility on the site, if the posts are not deemed abusive they will be reinstated.

I hope this helps.

guess what I replied?

This is part of it .......................

"My reasons for reporting the RR'd posts last night were to ........

a) let you know that a similar thing was happening to what had had happened on the night of Jan 3/4

b) Inform you that members have seen this happening for months ..... and it is time to stop joking among ourselves about the Mystery Reporter, and to ask for you to control this stupidity

c) Following up on comments made by GR staff that they appreciate help from members in an attempt to solve the problem of abuse of the RR system.

I know that you have the email address for all reporters, and so can identify if people are constantly RR'ing posts.

I also wanted to ensure, if possible, that you really did read those reported posts from last night to see if they were abusive.

They certainly did not appear to be so to those of us who read them before they were removed for review.

Of course, members must have the right to report abusive posts ............... but members also have the right to know that a member who reports posts for fun will not allowed to continue doing that, and will receive a penalty for doing so. There was once a statement that a member abusing the Report function would be banned permanently from the site."

sylvia