Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Best Geneaology software

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gillian

Gillian Report 30 Jan 2012 13:11

It occurred to me the other day that if some ethereal force attacked Genes reunited and the data got "removed" me and many many others would be up the proverbial creek without a paddle.
Am thinking about getting a software package to upload my tree on for a backup.
Can anyone recommend one please?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 30 Jan 2012 13:41

Might be better on Genealogy Chat Board

Kense

Kense Report 30 Jan 2012 14:47

It should be on the chat board but as far a preserving the data goes just make sure that you export a GEDCOM to your PC whenever you make a significant number of changes to your tree.

That way when you get a family tree program you will have the information available.

You will need to keep any photos videos etc separately as they are not part of the GEDCOM file.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 5 Feb 2012 06:34

My advice is only ever to use websites, or indeed any other location that you have no direct control over, for "throw away" copies of your tree.

I maintain all my records on my home PC using FTM (Family Tree Maker), and ensure the data is backed up and stored safely on a regular basis.

My trees on GR, Ancestry, Tribal etc are updated from time to time from FTM. If the data on there ever gets trashed then I simply upload a new file.