Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

records search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Elsie

Elsie Report 4 Feb 2012 17:00

Been trying to find a friend through marriage records.Nothing found.
So put my own marriage date in also my brothers and sisters.Nothing.
Had hardly any results this time around. :-(

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Feb 2012 17:51

Which site are you searching ?

If on GR have you actually looked at the image which appears for each quarter

Mandy

Mandy Report 5 Feb 2012 11:13

I've had a similar problem. I have relatives that were married abroad, however I thought they had to also be registered in England as well? I may be wrong, but it is very frustrating looking and not finding.

I am a platinum member and am also disappointed that every time I search parish records and british newspaper archives I am having no results. I think this may be due to the limited availability on this site - I have found parish records on a different site by going directly to the parish website with much better success.

Wish I had realised the limited availability to parish and newspaper archives before I paid extra for them.

Good luck with your continued search Elsie.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Feb 2012 20:23

sometimes it is merely a matter of putting in TOO much information.

have you tried searching on surname and year only?

Mandy

........... there is absolutely no requirement for a foreign marriage to be also registered in England.

Nor to register a foreign birth of British parents UNLESS you want to ensure that your child is so recorded ........... then the child ends up being registered in 2 places.

In fact, a baby born and registered overseas has all the same rights of a baby born and registered in England, so long as one of of the parents was born and registered in England.

At one point, the fact that one of a baby's grandparents was born and registered in England was sufficient to endow that child with many rights .... such as no need to obtain a work visa, or be subject to any restrictions on entry or work. That applied to my daughter born in the early 1970's.

But, I think this has now been altered to make it parents only

sylvia

Susan10146857

Susan10146857 Report 5 Feb 2012 21:07

If the Parents were in the forces the birth will not be found in the normal registers

Findmypast has the forces registers....not sure about GR although one would assume they had.