Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Old Tree updating

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ruth

Ruth Report 5 Feb 2012 12:47

I don't know if this has been reported before, but I am using my old tree as I can't get on with the new one and when I update the old tree, the new one appears with the new info in it.
Please can you make it so that whichever tree you are using, it remains, shows your updates/amendments and stops reverting to the new one.

Thanks

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 12 Feb 2012 10:22

I am using the old tree too, the new one is impossible, it freezes. I have contacted GR about this (and many other problems, including the Error message which I think I could recite in my sleep), but the usual response is.......... basically........ it's my fault. grrrrrrrr

Robert

Robert Report 12 Feb 2012 13:05

Clicked on an ancestors name,and brought back to previous page,complained,but no reply.
Turns out Internet Explorer is maybe at fault,so now have to go through Mozzilla Firefox,time consuming,but at least it works.

Kense

Kense Report 12 Feb 2012 13:51

"Turns out Internet Explorer is maybe at fault"
Don't know who told you that but it works fine for me. Perhaps you have an old version of IE,

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Feb 2012 20:23

and others have been told that Chrome is at fault, and they should use IE8

sooooooooooooooo ...............................

it seems that whichever browser you are using when you have the problem is at fault, and you have to use one of the others.

Chrome seems to be the one they are pushing at the moment.

Any site worthy of its name should work with the major browsers used by its users

.............. and the major browsers used by most people seem to be IE8, Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox.

sylvia

JerryH

JerryH Report 12 Feb 2012 22:28

Quite right Sylvia :-) :-)

Ken, don't forget that IE 9 is only available for Vista and Windows 7.

There are still problems with IE8 and older versions. Mozilla Firefox seems to work fairly well

It is always a good idea to mention what browser and what operating system you are using when reporting faults. If you submit feedback through "Contact Us" then that info is collected automatically (Assuming you can find the Submit Button. :-D )

Jeremy

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 12 Feb 2012 22:58

Chrome is at fault, IE is at fault, everything is at fault. It couldn't possibly be GR!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Feb 2012 23:01

you got it, Catherine!! :-D

Elizabeth2469049

Elizabeth2469049 Report 18 Feb 2012 18:58

Does it really matter if new information appears on both tree versions? I think I should be annoyed if I added something to the old one, and then found l had to add it later to the new version if I decided to use it in the future

grannyfranny

grannyfranny Report 18 Feb 2012 20:09

I seem to recall that Phil said in one of his updates about the new tree that any changes made to either tree would copy to the other.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 18 Feb 2012 20:15

Surely both the 'old' and the 'new' tree displays use the same data? So if you update on one it will be visible on t"other?

Browsers don't change the data, only how it is displayed. Update to the latest versions and report any issues to GR Support if it works on one but not another.

Simples.....!

Thelma

Thelma Report 19 Feb 2012 12:16

Maybe what Ruth is saying is that when she updates the old tree it switches to the new tree.

Kense

Kense Report 19 Feb 2012 13:38

I think she wants the tree to default to whatever tree style was last selected.

That sounds quite reasonable but would mean extra work for GR staff to cover what is hopefully a short term problem, and would use effort that would be better spent on perfecting the new tree.