Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Plea to GR Team

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 11 Mar 2012 00:37

Once again you seem to be absent from the boards.

Could we please have some sort of announcement telling the members what exactly the Team are working on at the moment such as problems with the tree, my threads, error messages or anything that will help this site to run smoothly etc, etc.

It does not have to be a technical detailed report but something in simple terms.

At the moment we have no way of knowing what the Team are giving priority to or are actually dealing with.

Yes the Announcement Board on this site and not on Facebook. Nor by a reply posted on one thread that members will miss reading.

Communication from the Team is lacking at the best of times.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 11 Mar 2012 11:42

I agree.

Last night I could not use the site as although I actually logged on without any bother every time I tried to move from board to board or page to page I just kept getting the error message. I couldn't even get back to the home page so I could report the problem to Genes.

It always seems to get worse on a weekend when there are no GR staff about. I'm starting to think someone "switches something off" and causes problems for us all.

Today doesn't seem too bad though. Nothing seems to get fixed permenantly - it's all on and off all the time!!

Kath. x

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 11 Mar 2012 12:56

I have been fortunate with no particular problems except the odd "error" message which seems to go away if I persist-however-this weekend I am being flooded (well 6 so far :-)) with messages infoming me that a "thread I am watching" has been answered !!!

It tells me to untick the box if I do not want to receive messages, but they won't "untick" !

Shall send support an e-amil

Dea

Dea Report 11 Mar 2012 15:03

I quite agree Glitter - we just need to know what is happening - 'Communication is the key' - this is taught on all management and other training courses but seems always to be ignored on here !!

I don't seem to be having any problems today but last night was an absolute disaster - 60, 70, 80 + error messages and I could not access anything !!

SO frustrating! - I got REALLY angry, which is not like me !

Dea Xxx

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 14 Mar 2012 18:21

Nudge, nudge, ;-) ;-)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 14 Mar 2012 18:30

Just sent a message to Support

When are the Team willing to post on the Announcement Board as to what problems they are trying to sort out, such as error messages and My Threads not working, so that members can see that the issues are actually being looked at and dealt with.

How many times does an error message have to be logged before the Team start to sort out the problem?

Some of the problems have been around for months.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Mar 2012 13:08

Well got the reply I expected - do they bother reading anything !!

I am sorry to hear you have been experiencing some problems on the site recently. Could you confirm exactly what is happening.
I will need the full step by step details of what you are clicking on, along with any error message you receive.

Could you please also confirm which operating system and internet browser you are using, e.g. Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8.

This information will help us to try and solve this for you.

Many thanks in advance for your help

Joy

Joy Report 15 Mar 2012 13:26

Maureen - no, not always.

I reported the ongoing error issue again, as requested; the reply received was the same that you received - my response:

"......, with respect, the browser is irrelevant; this has been acknowledged by Genes Reunited staff. However, usually I use chrome or firefox, and my computer is vista.

Exactly what I was clicking on was my threads and it was the usual ongoing message which has been reported in
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1291446 and I report it to you, as has been requested when it appears as well as adding it to that thread."

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Mar 2012 13:50

Well I did send a reply back but not hopeful

"I am using Windows XP and IE8 but that is not the problem. Have you actually read the message I sent ?

Perhaps the Team will look at the following threads - loads more on the boards that mention the problems currently being experienced with the site.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1291446

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1285858

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1294399

Thank you,
Maureen"

The Team only have to read the many threads to see what members are doing when they get the error messages. They seem unwilling to communicate with their paying members as they do not answer the questions when you do contact support.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Mar 2012 18:12

Well I must be using the wrong language if this reply is anything to go by

Thank you for taking the time to reply back to me.

Me and my colleague have both been able to call up threads on the site without any problems.

Please could you let me know step by step details of what you are clicking on, along with any error message you receive.

This information will help us to try and solve this for you.

Many thanks in advance for your help

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Mar 2012 20:25

next email from me would be along the lines of the following (and has been at least 3 times!!) ................

"Stop sending me emails full of platitudes. This (these) problem(s) has/ have been a daily occurrence now for almost a year ...... there are many threads on the Suggestions Board, and all other boards, reporting this (these) problem(s).

I am tired of getting the same old, same old, form letter.

Please go read the Boards .............. and you will never be able to replicate my problems with the site working from inside GR.

I do not expect any more platitudes"

That usually brings are response from Alex, and possibly even Estelle :-D :-D

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Mar 2012 21:11

Both of the replies received from the support team have been from Alex

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Mar 2012 21:53

There are 2 Alex's .............

................. one with last initial B and one with last initial S

sylvia

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Mar 2012 22:07

It was Alex B.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Mar 2012 12:01

Not holding my breath !!

Thank you for taking the time to report this problem.

I have passed the details of this specific issue to our technical team to look at and investigate.

Your patience while we work to resolve this is much appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Lisa
Genes Reunited Support Team

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 20 Mar 2012 12:25

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1292976?page=0

Posted by Phil at 9.43

I forgot to post an announcement yesterday indicating that we were going to do an early morning deployment. My apologies about that. This deployment includes some changes to the login process behind the scenes and everyone should be required to log in again. There are a number of other changes that will be detailed in this weeks technical update blog. Including much needed performance ones on the home page and login process.

So why have the Team not posted this on the Announcement Board. After the event is better than not all.

How are members supposed to know there were problems with the site if a reply is just posted on a thread.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 14 Jun 2012 22:49

:-(

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Jun 2012 00:47

they have got so fed up with complaints being posted on FB that there is now a new directive

posted yesterday (Wednesday)

We would like to draw you attention to our Mission for this page which you can see by clicking on 'About' in the top navigation bar. The purpose of this page is enjoyment for all. We welcome beginners and experts alike and aim to help people where we can whilst posting informative, amusing and interesting family history related topics. Queries or complaints regarding the Genes Reunited website specifically should be sent to [email protected]. They will no longer be answered on this page and will be removed so as not to distract from the original purpose of this page.

I know at least one person who said they had posted a complaint on there earlier today.

I cannot find it, and so presume it has been whooooshed

sylvia

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Jun 2012 03:02

GR's Facebook page is ridiculous!

Loads of advertisements for tv shows :-P

Lots of patting themselves on the back :-P (why?)

Only "nice" comments allowed :-P

But......... they still boast about the helpful members <3

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 15 Jun 2012 10:50

Scozz, the FB page says

The purpose of this page is enjoyment for all. We welcome beginners and experts alike and aim to help people where we can whilst posting informative, amusing and interesting family history related topics,

Lets get real, the idea of GR having a FB page is solely for the purpose of advertising the GR web site

Free advertising on the worlds largest social networking site is the obvious place for such adds

It appears once they have achieved that aim of directing members of FB to join the GR site that they then fail to give the service that new any old members expect and when a suggestion is made they take that as pure criticism when most of it is constructive,

This had led to members feeling like they are being ignored and so the members suggestions have now become full on criticism,

Who is to blame? IMHO, GR for not listening

At this rate their will soon not be any helpful members left to boast about on their FB page

Roy