Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ERROR MESSAGES

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Reggie

Reggie Report 26 Mar 2012 13:19

Why are they so much in evidence on this site?

I used to use the message boards in the days when the site was actually fairly busy, and no such messages appeared then.

I rejoined a few weeks back, and was shocked at how little activity there is

The site is like a graveyard now, by comparison with when I was previously a user, and yet its ability to function efficiently seems to have completely disappeared.

NOTE:

I have deleted the multiple posts - they provided, without my having to do anything, a perfect example of the site's shortcomings!!!!!

Reggie

Reggie Report 26 Mar 2012 15:02

I contacted GR about this

I post below the reply I received

Dear Reggie

Thanks for your email.

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems on the site.

Please could you let me know exactly what is happening? I will then be able to investigate this for you.

I will need the full details of what you are clicking on, along with any error message you receive.

Please can you also let us know which operating system and browser you are using to access the site, e.g. Windows XP and Internet Explorer 8, in order that I may investigate this further for you.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Kind Regards,

Lisa
Genes Reunited Support Team

I advised Lisa to look at this board...........

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 26 Mar 2012 15:45

You got the same reply as me

I also suggested the Team read the boards to see how many where having problems

Sometimes think they do not bother reading the messages when they send out that response

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Mar 2012 19:15

nah, they don't!

There is a standard format letter for each and every problem, the staff member "on duty" on the Complaints desk, generates what she/he thinks is the appropriate response and fires it back to the complainer.

If you want a REAL answer, you have to send another complaint back in response to that rote email ........... I've started saying .......

........ "I do not want any more platitudes. I have a real complaint. Many others have real complaints, as you will see if you read the Boards. I want an answer"

I usually get a personal reply after about 3 go rounds :-D

sylvia

Renes

Renes Report 26 Mar 2012 20:26

GR are also requesting ··screen shots·· of their error message

perhaps they have forgotten what it looked like

wish I had this morning

Renes

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 28 Mar 2012 05:19

that was response No 47

Saves them typing a real one

:-P

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 28 Mar 2012 08:34

GRU are running Microsoft IIS 7.5 web server.
It has very good logging facilities and they should be able to track any sort of error without asking you for screen shots, which kind of browser etc 'cos the log files will have that info. Even referral hacking!

This is a url which gives some idea of the nice bug tracking toys they have.

http://www.trainsignal.com/blog/iis-7-troubleshooting

Possibly they have been busy with the new look FRU site ... in any case the last blog post from Phil was 15 Feb 2012.

I have found that I can sign on ok (first time) from any windows / linux machine, or android device though it is still pretty slow. The old tree works (never touch new tree), never needed print, maps view works but has bugs, not putting up any more photos. New contacts view unworkable. I have always archived my old threads offline.

What gets me is that since Dec 2011 the site has moved from being a bit old fashioned but busy with full functionality to a right mess and it is obvious that a lot of people just don't bother with it any more.

IGP's idea that the new tree replaces the old one and will work given time is hokum. It is the same database in new or old view - that is why you can use old view / new view in parallel). Either way the supporting code is a similar mashup of javascript and the airlock functions and flash. The lack of progress on fixing the new tree should show IGP just how ez maintaining this mash-up is. I am dubious that the site can be fixed in an incremental fashion.

Google are about to make some massive changes in the way that they interface with their ad tracking technology. Yet another challenge for the team with no obvious benefit for the punters.

so it goes
the world is littered with failed software projects built on Microsoft platforms - the (ditched) NHS system, US Navy carriers, UK ID card, UK Borders ID (doesn't work) .... when will they ever learn ?

At £ 20 pa the site has been fair value for the basic sub. However if everybody runs away then there is not much point in being left with the ball and no bat. As FRU or MySpace show a popular web site can easily fall behind the curve and shrivel up .... resurrection is harder. Ask Ian Rankin.

ElizabethK

ElizabethK Report 28 Mar 2012 09:15

Do brightsolid have any interest in how these facilities funtion,presumably in the long run "the buck stops with them"

I do realise this site is just a pinprick in their global interests :-(