Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Not needed on voyage

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 1 Apr 2012 16:30

It is now 3 months since the "old tree" view was brought back while the bugs in "new tree"view were sorted. Unfortunately they have not been sorted. The mere existence of the new tree with its bugs is however causing a fair bit of annoyance if not loud wailing, gnashing of teeth and other noises (off).

It would now seem sensible to retire the "new tree" view altogether until such time as it is fixed. Maybe the print function could then be restored. Mopst certainly it should no longer be the default option.

No doubt some members would be happy to participate in testing the "new tree" view as it is sorted. The others should not have it foisted upon them willy nilly.
You could for instance get IGP and KenSE to lead a bugs reporting board and return this one back to its original purpose of making suggestions for improvements which are never ever going to happen.

For those unaware, whether using the new or old tree view it is exactly the same underlying tree. If you have a go with the new tree and it all screws up (as it will) then close the tree and start again with the old tree which makes it easy to sort things out. If you want something relaxing after that start putting together yr latest purchase from IKEA.

GRU expended a lot of effort on a program which displays a location map of yr tree using Microsoft Bing Maps. It is pretty good and does not crash even with several thousand people in a tree, but give it plenty of time. It can be found on the menu when using the old tree view. Give it a try. It would be a shame if they ditched something that works just 'cos people did not use it.

KenSE

KenSE Report 1 Apr 2012 16:54

No point in me testing the new tree as I don't have much to add to it. I mostly use it for displaying what I already have and for that purpose I find the new tree is far better and faster than the old.

Ideally anyone leading a bugs reporting board needs to have made 20,000 postings, have hundreds of contacts and a few thousand entries in their tree.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 2 Apr 2012 02:32

I have over 18,000 names on my GR tree but only a few board postings, because I've only been using the boards for the last few months. My own software has over 50,000 names (loads of distant cousins in far-flung places, mostly living people which I do NOT put on the GR tree). I'm not planning a family gathering any time soon.

I don't think I'd have many more to add (but I did find about 100 new (to me) Aussies last night!) :-D

I've had nothing but trouble with the new tree, I refuse to use it - until it's fixed. If we get stuck with the unfixed new tree and no old one - I'm out of here! :-P

IanP

IanP Report 2 Apr 2012 13:45

I am not using the new tree and when my subs run out in June I shall leave the site and remove the tree. The new tree is full of bugs and not user friendly and I can not for the life of me understand why they persist with it. There customer satisfaction rating must be off the scale and still dropping.

I research tree's for other people and I have used Genes as the people can see the tree grow. I have now stopped this process and I email them a weekly report and gedcom file as its easy for them to use then this mess.

:-( :-( :-(