Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Bigger Issue

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sad_Mushroom

Sad_Mushroom Report 6 Apr 2012 07:02

Why is it that people on Ancestry get caught giving false advice to people years ago,,,,,then I see those people in here sprouting the same false advice and nothing is done or said about it????

In regards to the Australian National Library and most state libraries of Australia...

They do NOT do research and it is against the LAW for them to provide information on living ppl....BUT I have seen many posts in here where someone is telling peeople to "Ask a Librarian" and get all the family details.....

Funny as the same person was told in 2010 that the "ask a Librarian" function wasn't for looups.....
Why does GR keep letting someone post incorrect info over and over again????

Kellie

Kense

Kense Report 6 Apr 2012 08:04

The following paragraph from the Terms and Conditions may explain GR's position on information in posts.

"The views expressed in any content or material which is uploaded by you or other users of the Genes Reunited Service do not reflect Genes Reunited’s views. We make no promises and offer no guarantees as to the accuracy of any Submissions."

Sad_Mushroom

Sad_Mushroom Report 6 Apr 2012 08:16

Ty Ken,,,
But why does GR allow info to be posted that is incorrect??
since atleast 2010??

I get conned in by a ""we have this info"" then find the info was denied years ago in Ancestry....

Does GR have any idea or do anything????
I'm finding it doesn't
OR does GR just let ppl keep posting no matter WTF they say???

I can show the 2010 posts (on Ancestry) for the person in here who is still adding this as fact on GR.....

GR should pull up or delete ppl who have been giving FALSE info/advice to ppl\

Kellie

Kense

Kense Report 6 Apr 2012 08:31

I don't think GR has the manpower available to monitor the messageboards. They rely on false information being contested on the relevant thread.

If you consider the matter is serious enough then you could report the posting as long as you give GR a detailed reason.

Sad_Mushroom

Sad_Mushroom Report 6 Apr 2012 08:40

Ty Ken,,
I will do and have done,,,,,but as I am new here wasn't sure of the protocol...

The "crap" I am talking about was ended in 2010 in Ancestry.....so no idea why GR let it go on for soo long....
GR wants to think it is "moving up" and is years behind Ancestry....

Kellie

Rambling

Rambling Report 6 Apr 2012 12:46

Presumably the person or persons giving the information are doing so 'in good faith' not knowing it is incorrect...perhaps a simple addition to any thread on which you see this info' saying it is not correct would suffice? that way everyone knows..

wisechild

wisechild Report 6 Apr 2012 13:55

How are Genes supposed to know that info requested & given on here is right or wrong??.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Apr 2012 22:43

This Board is supposed to be for Suggestions as to how GR can improve.

Are you making a complaint, or suggesting that GR should do something about something they can't do anything about???

I think every single helper on GR has given wrong information at some point ................ accidentally, because things have changed on the other site, or because of a misunderstanding.

I know I certainly have .................. and other members who know better have GENTLY corrected me.

GR specifically says they don't monitor the threads, as Ken has said ............... and I don't see monitoring as you suggest to be high in the great scheme of things.

sylvia

patchem

patchem Report 7 Apr 2012 08:47

On this thread:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/living_relatives/thread/1294032
Someone has successfully asked a librarian for information.
So perhaps the true situation is that librarians can give help in certain circumstances.
Perhaps it depends on what one defines as 'research on living persons'?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Apr 2012 09:58

Putting a postive spin on this....

Kellie - How do you feel about starting a thread on Geneology Chat entitiled 'Ask the Australian Librarian service'.

It would be really helpful if you or someone else could itemise what they can or cannot do.
For instance, can they look for Obits, or confirm the names found in a phone directory against the ER.

There must be many more actions you could mention, especially as you have contacts at your State Library.

:-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 8 Apr 2012 12:51

Just because something is against the law, does not mean people are not going to do it.........

Here in the UK it is often the luck of the draw when contacting Libraries etc., as to whether or not they will help, legally or otherwise.

I have in the past contacted Libraries/Archives whose website says the DO NOT assist and yet the person on the phone went out of their way to help, even emailing results to me for free (result on that one I can tell you!).

As said by Rambling Rose & Wisechild, some could be offering help and innocently give out duff information, I know many of us have probably done so in our enthusiasm to help others. :-)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 8 Apr 2012 21:32

Ancestry and GR are not connected in anyway,,,,,,,

and please dont attack the good members who help or the GR team unfairly!,any information is as put-----all in good faith and GR wouldnt know if false info has been given no more than Ancesrty has on their site message boards,,,,,,,and Australian Archive site states,,,,,,,***,Ask a Librarian.***....so pehaps you need to put it to them to remove it.!