Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hot Matches

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ian

Ian Report 14 Apr 2012 18:59

Why does Hot Matches not work any more? I used to get postings twice a month; now nothing for a year. Has it gone down the tubes like the family tree layout?
Ian
:-(

Kense

Kense Report 15 Apr 2012 08:16

In the Activity Alert box on the Home Page you may find the following message with a date.

"We looked for new Hot Matches but didn't find any. Try adding more relations to your tree. "

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Apr 2012 08:35

If you click on "Hot Matches" you'll see this:

Don’t worry - Genes Reunited looks for new Hot Matches every 14 days.

If you have no Hot Matches today or have just joined Genes Reunited, please check again in a few days as they will appear here as soon as you have some.

About time that was changed.

Add more relations to my tree? That's a good idea...........

I just checked my tree, there are 19,083 names. Maybe I should add another one. :-D

I'm fed up hearing the excuse that the GR server is causing problems etc etc - the system is overloaded! They MUST have known some time ago that it would need upgrading. Why has it taken so long?

I realise all the "millions" of members aren't paying subs, but surely there's enough income to afford a decent system. I'm sure Bright Solid have the money.

Yet another indication of the lack of respect shown to GR members. :-P

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Apr 2012 15:04

Hot Matches has changed dramatically

Due to many members complaining GR changed the system

Now it is not just name that is matched but Name, place of birth and year.

So in my tree if I have put John Smith Battersea 1808, but someone else has put John Smith London 1808 or Surrey 1808 then they will never be matched.

So it is not so much a problem that lies with GR not running the matches, just the dramatic change in criteria. A real pain, but I just use the Search Trees. Can take a while, but I just set aside and hour a week just to do this on here and on Ancestry.