Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching


  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Census error

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date


gareth Report 16 May 2012 10:56

Hi, Don't know how this works or if it can be done, but, while doing a search on the 1911 census for an Ellen A Rees, YOB 1892, give or take 5yrs, it brought up a record for Glamorgan, Glynneath. While it appears that 2 of the people do have the surname Rees, Ellen A, William and Mary have the surname JONES.


Island Report 16 May 2012 12:04

Have you looked at the actual image?


DazedConfused Report 16 May 2012 12:11

On both Ancestry & FindmyPast amendments can be submitted. However, unless the original image is clearly different to the transcription there is nothing that can be done.

My granddad's name was Reginald. Sadly his father when filling out the form wrote Regniald. Now because the error is on the original I cannot get this amended. Just as an example.

Ancestry will show any amendments in brackets under the original entry.
Findmypast, if they agree the transcription error you report is correct they will amend the entry completely.
FreeBMD will also amend if you can prove the transcription in incorrect.


gareth Report 16 May 2012 12:44

Island - Yes, it was from the original image that I can see the transcription error (being Welsh helps with these common surnames of Rees and Jones )
;-) PigletsPal - None of them are my relatives Ellen is still alluding me, but it must be annoying when there is clearly a mistake and nothing can be done :-( Thanks both for the reply!


Island Report 16 May 2012 12:48

Sorry Gareth, I'm still not quite sure of the problem. Are both surnames on the image or only added to the transcription? If the latter you can report it to whichever site you are looking at.


gareth Report 16 May 2012 12:59

Hi Island, SORRY. The transcription shows them as Rees but the image clearly shows Jones on the census. It is the transcription on the GenesReunited site.


Island Report 16 May 2012 13:08

Email GR about it Gareth.

Have you found the one you were looking for?


gareth Report 16 May 2012 13:26

No unfortunately Island, still looking, but perserverance is the answer with some people as you no doubt know :-)


DazedConfused Report 17 May 2012 22:13

Just because an error which is spotted is wrong does not mean you cannot apply to have it amended on Ancestry or Findmypast etc.

I regularly spot some right odd entries when doing my own family research. I will toddle off to the original pages look at them and if glaringly wrong will submit a correction. I am not bothered if they are my rellies or not, just hope that it makes finding them easier for others.

About 18 months ago, went through about 10 years worth of the early Birth records on FreeBMD for the Brain surname. Submitted loads of amendments, most of which were accepted. This not only gave me a great deal of satisfaction but helped others in their research. Win Win all round :-D


SylviaInCanada Report 18 May 2012 00:40

I spend much more time looking for other people than for my own family ..................... but I spot errors all the time.

..... I only use ancestry ................ and whenever I spot an error I submit it for their "alternate information"

It is possible to submit such information to ancestry as below ............

Provide alternate information for:-
Birth Year Estimate
Birth Place

Transcription Error
Wrong in Image
Nick Name
Maiden Name
Name Change

and there is also a place for you to submit
Explain and source your update (optional)

so I have submitted corrections both for names incorrectly transcribed AND also when they are wrong on the image but I know the correct spelling from other evidence.

I've also submitted changes for Birth Year and Birth Place

I guess I average 5-10 submissions a week :-D :-D

PP .......

....... could you not use that "wrong in image" category for your grandfather?

I've used for people who are not related to me in any form or fashion ...... I do give a reason, such as according to censuses xxxx, xxxx, and xxxx.

If it's for my own family ...... Silufeld instead of Schofield ....... I say how it relates to me (eg, grandfather's/grandmother's grandfather's family).



SylviaInCanada Report 18 May 2012 00:45

I believe the censuses and other records on GR are mainly obtained from FindMyPast ........................ and I have no idea about the current situation re making changes on this site.

I know that you could not make any changes a couple of months ago, but then one of the GR people posted that they were working to write a programme that would enable this to be done.

Gareth .......................

do be aware that FMP, and ancestry have done their own transcriptions of all the censuses, and of records they might have in common ................... so what is wrong on one site will be correct (or differently wrong) on the other.

With regard to the 1911 Census, there is a 3rd site ............. the official 1911 Census site ......... so you have a 3rd option for "alternate information"

In fact, the search engine on the official 1911 site is probably the very best of the lot.



gareth Report 18 May 2012 07:05

Hi everyone, thanks, I have let GR know and they have said they will get it changed. I thought it was right to let someone know if there is a blatant error as I hope it will help others in searches and as I am looking for common old 'Davies and Rees' in Wales, accurate records help :-)


gareth Report 18 May 2012 11:11

Hey Thanks guys for your help and advice, have only been on GR for 9 months, and for 6 of them they lost all my notes and info, just got it back end of last week, so your help is appreciated. Gareth


gareth Report 18 May 2012 11:11

Hey Thanks guys for your help and advice, have only been on GR for 9 months, and for 6 of them they lost all my notes and info, just got it back end of last week, so your help is appreciated. Gareth