Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Father's Day competition

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KenSE

KenSE Report 17 Jun 2012 07:37

So it is. Shows how often I look at that board.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 16 Jun 2012 22:07

Ken,

do you mean this one?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/quizzes_games/thread/1274712

it is dated July 2011

Roy

KenSE

KenSE Report 16 Jun 2012 21:56

I see there is now a quiz on FB which they have announced on the Quiz board.

KenSE

KenSE Report 15 Jun 2012 07:21

Thanls for confirming that, Sylvia.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 13 Jun 2012 20:15

Ken

"Incidentally I read over the weekend that any photos published on FB become the copyright of Facebook."

That is perfectly true!

and they can be used for any purpose that FB wishes.

It applies whether you have a perfectly open or completely private wall.

sylvia

KenSE

KenSE Report 13 Jun 2012 10:12

Yes, sorry Island, I misunderstood the jist of your post.

The fact remains however that it was possible to enter the competition without being on Facebook.

Incidentally I read over the weekend that any photos published on FB become the copyright of Facebook.

Island

Island Report 13 Jun 2012 09:02

Ken,
I presume you were addressing me? Have you read the other posts on this thread? See how many emphasise PAYING members - that is what I am referring to.

As far as the actual photographs go - Facebook is a much better site to display them on than GR so it makes sense to run such competitions on FB.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 12 Jun 2012 11:51

Just had a look at Facebook.

There's a survey about GR - IMHO pointless!

But - why isn't the survey mentioned on THIS SITE?

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 11 Jun 2012 12:57

Thats the only reason I joined Facebook was to see what GR are posting on that site.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 11 Jun 2012 08:39

fuss?

We are members of GR, some are paying members, some not.

GR runs a competition.

But it's not on GR, except for an announcement to look at GR's Facebook page.

RUDE to members of GR

I am a member of a few "website clubs" that regularly have competitions; winners are announced on the club pages. No idea if their results are also on Facebook.

I joined Facebook a few weeks ago, so that I could see what I should know about GR that isn't posted on the GR website.

RobG

RobG Report 10 Jun 2012 21:43

It is apparently compulsory for GR to employ rude people with little or no regard for those who actually pay their wages.
Maybe if they spent as much time actually doing their job and improving this site, as they obviously spend of facebook, then maybe, just maybe, this site would be as good as it should be and as good as it was (relative to others around) as it used to be!!!!

KenSE

KenSE Report 9 Jun 2012 14:27

The fuss is not about paying and non-paying members, it is about GR announcing a competition on the announcements board and then not giving the results there.

Island

Island Report 9 Jun 2012 11:42

To be honest, I don't understand the fuss.
Why the outcry about paying members?
There must be an awful lot of non paying GR members who are just as entitled to enter the competitions as those who choose to pay basically to use the community boards and initiate contact.

Are there not more important things to fret about?

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 9 Jun 2012 10:53

"This comp. wasn't for paying members who don't use all those other chat sites!. Only for anyone who is on facebook."

- so why announce it in genes reunited:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/announcements/thread/1300965

Announcements : Father's Day competition!

Genes Advisor 28 May 2012 10:55

We're running a Father's Day competition to celebrate our dads/granddads, even if they're not used to it. Today we invite you to upload your old family photos to our Facebook page. It could be a military photo, a family portrait you cherish, or even an embarassing baby snap. We have 20 copies of 'Dear Dad' journals up for grabs, kindly donated by From You To Me http://bit.ly/zP10RA, so don't miss out. Please email your stories and photos to theteam@genesreunited.co.uk. Closing date for entries is Monday 4th June. Good luck!

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 9 Jun 2012 09:37

This comp. wasn't for paying members who don't use all those other chat sites!. Only for anyone who is on facebook.

Maybe that's why they still haven't put any sort of message on here.

GR will never accept that many of use don't use things like facebook, twitter etc and that we never will!!!!!!!!!

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 9 Jun 2012 08:42

Just noticed:
"We have had to remove the original post as a few winners names were missing. The winners are chosen at random by a person from outside of the Genes team. On this occasion Estelle's photo was chosen but as she did not mean to actually enter the competition (we do not allow GR team members to enter these competitions), only share her photo with you all, she has kindly donated her prize back into the pot to allow us to pick another winner."

Island

Island Report 8 Jun 2012 13:44

Probably quite a few.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Jun 2012 13:35

So, there was a competition, on GR's Facebook page

You could only enter it if you are a member of FB.

Have I got that right?

GR announced the competition (on the Accouncement board), but only post the results on Facebook. That's just rude.

I wonder how many of the winners are GR paying members.

:-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-\

wisechild

wisechild Report 8 Jun 2012 13:03

Now there's a surprise!!!!!
Competitions are usually closed to members of staff.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 8 Jun 2012 04:12

This is just another example of GR ignoring PAYING members.

It wouldn't be tolerated anywhere else.

No respect for us at all.

They should be ashamed of themselves.

:-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P :-P