Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Please change this default when sending messages

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 9 Jun 2012 08:55

When sending a message, currently, there is a default tick next to

Allow this member to view my family tree.

It is easy not to notice this.

Please remove the tick.

Lynski

Lynski Report 9 Jun 2012 09:25

Good idea, Joy.

It would be much easier to give someone permission after you have made contact rather than give them access to your tree without realising you have done just that.

I know when I first started on here I wrote to a heap of members all at once and it wasn't until one of them pointed out what I had done that I had to go back through my contacts and stop access to them all.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 9 Jun 2012 10:39

Brilliant idea

Why would we want to give access to our trees just on a first contact.

Rather like inviting a stranger into your home and then wondering where all your valuables have gone once they have left!

Many now will only give tree permission after several messages back & forth once a definitive connection has been found, and then often only for a short time.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 9 Jun 2012 12:11

I did not know that either...however I dont have a "tick" option so how do I alter the default....

KenSE

KenSE Report 9 Jun 2012 14:37

I think the tick is only there when you send a message as the result of a search or hot match.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 9 Jun 2012 14:55

KenSE ..Am I therefore to understand that everyone you send a message to has permission to view your tree as this is appearing on all my messages and I cannot alter it....????

KenSE

KenSE Report 9 Jun 2012 16:40

I hope it is only those message that you send as a result of a match that gives people access to your tree. For those messages there is tick box that you can use to stop access.

If you send a PM to someone on a messageboard, it shouldn't affect access as there is no tick box.

Look at Messages > My Contacts to see who has permission to see your tree.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 9 Jun 2012 21:47

Erin you can't stop the default. That is what Joy is asking GR to do, although I don't suppose they will. When you reply to a hot match you have to untick the box giving access - something very easy to forget as it is further down the page and not at all obvious!!

To remove access from all those you have given it to by mistake, do as KenSE says - go into My Contacts and click on Stop by the names you don't want to have access any more.

I've done that more than once!!

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 9 Aug 2012 09:03

Please change this default.

Mike

Mike Report 9 Aug 2012 16:22

Please don't change the default.

There is nothing more annoying than someone contacting me without letting me see their tree. The first thing I will ask them is "Can I see your tree"!

If I contact someone I usually say. "I think we might be related, have a look at my tree and see if you agree"

:)

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 9 Aug 2012 17:00

The first thing i ask is

How they think we are connected If i don't get the relevant details then thats the end of it

If we are connected then i establish that connection and only then would i agree to giving access,

and even then i may decide to only send the relevant info and or split my tree and send them the relevant part in a Gedcom file along with
copies of the documentry evidance

far too many people just copying entire trees without the tree owners knowledge in a race to have the biggest tree in the village without a shred of documentary evidence to back it up

Yes GR remove the default this permission can be given after the connection has been established

Roy

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 9 Aug 2012 19:16

Please remove the default

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 24 Aug 2012 09:10

:( .

Joanne

Joanne Report 19 Apr 2013 17:02

I seem to be late to this conversation but I would like to add my bit. It seems that the tick in the box next to "Allow this member to see my family tree." has been removed...I hope so, I just sent a message to someone.

The problem I have with the Message page is that when you click on "Find out more" next to a members name the default message is "Allow me to view your tree". You can backspace out of this message & type in your own, but more than once I have mindlessly (usually in the wee small hours) clicked SEND without changing the default message to my own, leaving me scrambling to send another message to introduce myself, apologise & tell the person what I'm looking for.

I never deliberately ask to see a members tree without first introducing myself & telling them what I'm looking for. Often I never request to view the tree of the person I'm writing to because my initial inquiry has told me that they can't help or the information they supply is all that I need to do my own research without seeing their tree.

It seems to me that when I started with GR the message page gave you a blank message space in which to write what you wanted & that there was also a separate box to check with the request "Allow me to view your tree". I'd like to see the return to this way of doing things.
J.D.Toronto