Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Member last online indication

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keith

Keith Report 26 Jun 2012 06:13

My estimate is that at least 80% of those who have data ar GR no longer actively monitor email received from the GR site.

If GR could add an indicator when a member last visited the site, as Ancestry do, then it would save the rest of us time not writing messages that will never be answered. Any former member who has not been online for more than 6 - 9 monthsis almost certainly not going to be so ever again.

Kense

Kense Report 26 Jun 2012 07:43

This has been suggested several times, Keith. Hopefully it is one of the suggestions taken on board by GR in their exciting new development.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 26 Jun 2012 12:13

Do not think they will adopt this as it will highlight just how few of their 'millions' of members are actually active.

You only have to look at all the Community Boards to see just how many members are active on there. I would estimate far less that 500 at any given time. And on a regular basis around 100 or so.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jun 2012 19:59

.................and as many of us never log out, then our "last visit" date might well show as 12 months ago :))

Also, don't forget that many people might have forgotten to notify GR that their email address has changed ................ so GR is left to send emails to non-existent addresses, and the members don't get the notifications.

sylvia

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Jun 2012 23:05

I, on the other hand, only log in when I want to add a post to a thread.

I started doing this when the site was mis-behaving because it reduced the constant error messages, and the habit has stuck.

Keith

Keith Report 26 Jun 2012 23:46

I am convinced by the replies that I get from GR that they are not bread by a human being, rather software that picks out key words and generates a standard response supposedly from Erica, or William, or other.

Sylvia..
Even though one might not sign out any actual activity can still be detected and recorded no matter what date. However if GR have the will to do as we would like is another matter.

Keith
FLINDERS: STRONACH: MORLEDGE: COLECHIN: MATHER: NASON:

Eric

Eric Report 27 Jun 2012 00:08

This a post I was going to start, so it seems GR dont want the masses to know just how few now use the site..
which in itself is such a pity....
But yes this is something that needs to be done.......
letting us know how long its been since a member has logged on
would be a great help to family searches,less time wasted and so forth...
but its a business at the end of the day
and they only want our money folks...

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Jun 2012 01:51

Actually

this topic pops up at least once a month :-)

There might be as many as 10 threads on it on this very Board, and who knows how many on other boards.

GR staff however rarely read this board, and almost never read other Boards.

and that is despite the fact that they set up this Suggestions Board for suggestions to improve the site.

So .................. my only suggestion to you is ................... inundate them with emails and pms :-D

sylvia

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 27 Jun 2012 02:34

a couple of months ago I got a reply to a message I sent in 2010! Apologies for the delay, but he was busy. lolol

Good idea Sylvia........ lots of emails...........you're wicked! rofl :-D :-D :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Jun 2012 03:51

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Eric

Eric Report 27 Jun 2012 18:35

well lest do it then,,,urmm,, ho do you know they dont read them
maybe they just dont act on them,,

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 27 Jun 2012 18:39

You cannot tell if a message has been read? but you can tell if that message has been opened by the recipient

Roy

Eric

Eric Report 28 Jun 2012 15:40

well the board must be moderated as I had a post deleted yesterday :-(

jax

jax Report 28 Jun 2012 16:21

The boards are not moderated, did you say something which would warrant someone to report it?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Jun 2012 14:07

His post was RR'd.

It lasted about 10-15 minutes

I did comment when reading it as to how long it would last. It disappeared shortly after.

PM me if you want to know the story!!!!

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Jul 2012 15:31

Yes, - we have been there before.....!

Actually you do log out, each time you shut your GR window or turn your PC off. You are then automatically logged back in next time, provided that is, your browser and GR's "remember me" options are set correctly and working as they should - it only appears that you have not logged out.

That aside, what is needed is not necessarily the last log-in timestamp but rather the last time the member did something on the site. This could be a log-in, but could also be a tree update, a PM, a board posting or a record search.

We know that GR hold this information as it is already visible to you for members in your contact list, so it would only be a minor mod to show the most recent activity against a members name.