Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

clipboard issues

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nicholas

Nicholas Report 26 Jun 2012 17:19

I am struggling to get the clipboard to work when copying between my tree and others that i have been allowed to view.

The site seems to either loose the details, or not save them, or crash while trying to save the details.

Would it be (or is it) possible to select a branch of someones tree (upwards) and copy a few levels - or are we stuck at copying one name at a time and pasting it into your own tree. (and then hoping it actually works)?

Thanks. It's still a great site, but niggles like this put me off using it last time i paid and tried.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Jun 2012 19:55

and are you absolutely certain that the names and information you are copying is correct and well-researched???????????????

I never open my tree to anyone ........................ I will send information to them that I know is correct, but my tree is a work in progress, and may change

Many of us do recommend that people not copy from others' trees.

Nicholas

Nicholas Report 26 Jun 2012 20:28

@SylviaInCanada

Thank you for your advice. We all need to start somewhere and taking a partial copy of someone else's tree is a good start for further research.

Unfortunately copy & paste in this application is slightly faulty.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 26 Jun 2012 21:23

Nicholas, I totally disagree, your tree is your tree, starting with you and your parents and siblings

copying some one Else's work is ill advised you need to start with facts just because a tree with what appears to be a common ancestor appears on a web site does not make it accurate information

copying can and often does lead to a fantasy tree that is based on trust and guess work,

If you need any help their are members on the genealogy board and find ancestors board that are willing to help

Roy

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 26 Jun 2012 23:00

I agree with Roy. My OH had a contact, a distant cousin, who copied chumks of our tree. I was surprised when some of our relatives appeared in Hot Matches (in the days when there were lots of them) with all the wrong birth places. So I had a look at her tree and we were all on there, but with the data all mixed up - parents married to the wrong spouses and places of birth total fiction!!

As Roy said - a fantasy tree - but caused, I think, by a copying glitch.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Jun 2012 23:03

Never trust anyone else's info....do your own research, and verify it, every step of the way..........assuming you want an accurate tree, of course

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Jun 2012 04:02

my experience of wrong information is the following.

There was a One Name Study Group on my father's family name.

It was started by the grandson of my father's eldest brother (ie, my uncle).

Uncle's son had moved his family to the other side of the UK when they were all quite small, so the one doing the family tree had to rely on his dad's memory. Uncle's siblings and their parents had also by that time left the UK entirely.

He quite obviously did NOT do any further checking ...................

.............. unfortunately what he DID do is organize a meeting of people with that surname, which I and other members of the family found out about 3 years after the event.

He produced a neat little CD of the family tree, going all the way back to the 17th century.

I and some other cousins got hold of this CD in 2006 ..........................

I had one sibling, a brother who was 10½ years older than me

The tree on the CD had ........

.......... lost my father

......... married my brother to my mother, despite the very wide difference in their ages

......... had me as the child of my brother and my mother ....... without noticing that bro was only 10½ years older than me.

That name has been removed from the One Name Study ...... without being corrected

At least 100 people have that CD ....... and who knows how many people they have since supplied with the information.

and there is nothing I can do about it!

sylvia

Emilia

Emilia Report 29 Aug 2012 19:36

Hi,

I hope it's not a problem that I'm posting here.

My dad originally started on GR but I'm taking over, and I decided to create my own account.

I'm going back and forth between his and my accounts, and I would like to copy all of the data on his tree to mine ...

But whenever I click on "copy", it's like my computer doesn't pick up the command, nothing seems to happen, and the clipboard remains empty.

I don't know where this problem is coming from, my mouse, my Mac, GR.... ?

Any help would be much appreciated, I don't really fancy copying everything down manually.

Thanks

EDIT : actually, many link buttons on GR aren't working, most of the time, i can't preview the birth records or other matches that are found (I'm not talking about spending credits to consult the documents, but rather simply previewing the data, i.e. date and place of birth.....) I don't know why this is occuring, and it's quite annoying I have to say. It's making me hit brick walls in my construction.

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Aug 2012 19:53

Nicholas, if I had started out copying from someone else's tree ( despite it being well researched to 1525) my grandfather would have died 20 years before he actually did, my father would not have been born at all , so neither would I...

on the other line, my mother's father would have been simultaeneously born in Australia and London....and his grandmother would have 'travelled' over to the US everytime she gave birth.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Aug 2012 23:33

Emilia - can you sign in to your father's account, or stand over him while he does?

He/you could export a copy of his tree as a gedcom via his registered email address. It arrives as an attachment to an email. He could then forward it to you, (or save it to his own computer.) You could then upload it to your own account.

The original will stay with his account on GR, but if you have already started your own, the gedcom will overwrite it.