Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TREE VIEW REQUESTS

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Jul 2012 11:08

I suggest GR posts something - perhaps on the home page - to advise people on how to ask for permission to view another member's tree.

I frequently get requests "out of the blue" - Request to View Your Tree from people who don't say who they are, don't give any information, and don't give access to their tree!

I used to reply with "who are you, and why do you want to view my tree?", now I ignore them.

Rude!!

:-P

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 15 Jul 2012 11:47

I often find I have been given tree access by people who I reply to on the 'chat' boards if they PM me. They do not always see the button on the bottom of the reply/message about the tree access.

I think Joy has mentioned this in another post farther down this page.

But as you say, sometime when there may be a connection the requests can be seen as very rude. I hate it when people would just reply to any requests I had made about family connections (never asking to see their tree) to get either no reply (and we all know the myriad of reasons for this) or they use the 'bug' reply from GR which is impolite and impersonal to say the least.

The sad thing is with electronic contacts we cannot judge the manner in which a reply or comment is made, which has often led to problems on here in the past. If you cannot see a persons face when some comments are made you cannot see the smile or laugh that goes with it. :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Jul 2012 01:32

PP - I don't get anything else from these people, just the request to view my tree.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 16 Jul 2012 05:03

Actually, I think the best thing would be if GR either removed entirely the automatic "Request to View your Tree" ..... and any other automatically generated requests.

This shows at the bottom of all pms I may want to send ....... I copied this by clicking on Scozz's name

Add an auto message:

More details?
Sorry, not my relative..
Sorry, not my ancestor..
Family tree request..

OR if they changed the default situation on contact pms from automatically "Request to View Your Tree" to one where the automatic default is not making the request.

sylvia

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Jul 2012 10:53

good idea Sylvia.

those tree requests make me think of the type of people who just walk into other's houses!

JerryH

JerryH Report 16 Jul 2012 11:25

I agree with Sylvia.

The choice to share a tree should require a positive action to do so. Not a default option requiring action not to..

The tick box at the bottom of the PM creation screen should default to unticked.

Jeremy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 16 Jul 2012 12:07

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/suggestions/thread/1301807

Roy

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 18 Jul 2012 16:27

Roy

I don't mean the default.

I mean the people who send a "Request to View Your Tree" - and that's the ONLY message they send (usually without access to their tree!)