Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Scottish Census

New Scottish census records

Do you have Scottish ancestors?

Perhaps you do and you just didn't know! Search our brand new Scottish census records today and discover if you have Scottish roots.

Search Scottish Census

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Merge trees

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CarldeHynton

CarldeHynton Report 21 Jul 2012 17:08

If we could export GEDCOMs of other people's trees that we have access to. Then we could merge them offline, and import it all back in. That would save so much typing!

Or better still GR could provide a merge facility!

KenSE

KenSE Report 21 Jul 2012 19:40

That facility would appeal to name harvesters or tree scrumpers but is frowned upon by serious family historians. You should not copy from someone else's tree without thoroughly checking what you are copying. The typing involved is a tiny part of that activity.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 21 Jul 2012 23:23

NEVER!!!

This is the worse thing to have proposed.

My tree ...... admittedly very small ..... would be immediately removed from GR if merging was ever allowed.

My tree on ancestry is Private, and access to it has been removed from Mundia

There are far too many people who acquire names from other trees that have nothing to do with their own genealogy.

sylvia

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 22 Jul 2012 09:01

This is a very silly idea but is a common wish with beginners. It is based on the idea that other people's trees are accurate. Even with great care 100% accuracy is very hard to achieve for all sorts of reasons. A far better approach is to recheck each and every entry on another tree before admitting the candidate. Yes, this takes time, effort and determination. The possible bear traps are legion.

Ancestry have something like this in that a person and his/her immediate tree can be copied into one tree from another. Commercially this is popular. It has had the effect of making a large proportion of the better researched trees go private, invitation only.

Beware of what you ask for.

Catherine

Catherine Report 22 Jul 2012 14:10

I have too often given access to my tree and found branches (and more) pilfered that it's disheartening. Here you are - time and money - into researching your tree and some whatsit rolls in whispers sweetnothings and suds off with the lot. To think, CarldeHynton, that there could actually be a button to click and make the 'copying' easier, well I don't know what to say...
Catherine xxx

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 22 Jul 2012 14:18

NEVER add anyone elses data to your own tree without checking and rechecking first.

The only person whose research I trust is my own!!!!!

Margee

Margee Report 22 Jul 2012 15:51

I can just add my voice to others here. Never, never add someone else's tree to your own. Use it as a guide but never add a name to your tree unless you have confirmed the data from other sources. You wouldn't believe some of the mistakes on on-line trees.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 22 Jul 2012 17:11

Simple answer is NEVER

Roy