Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

edward noel

edward noel Report 4 Aug 2012 13:21

Hi, Genes Reunited,

I think you're eluding yourself, if you think you'll changes are for the better, the old format had a certain air to it, that keeping with trying to find your relatives.

You would be better trying to come up with a friendly way to operate and print, the family tree section of the site.

I would apologise if this e-mail, doesn't make sense, I suffered a brain haemorrhage, and rely on voice recognition software to write, but what the words are, and what I meant to say, sometimes are different.
yours noel

Sarah

Sarah Report 7 Aug 2012 07:59

i want to be able to see my old tree as i cant use new tree

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Aug 2012 09:04

As has been said elsewhere, if you haven't already done so PLEASE send your comments about the makeover to

[email protected]

GR have a very small office based team of 12 and are unlikely to spend much time to read each and every thread/post on this topic. They certainly don't actively monitor the Boards.

You may end up with a standard reply, but at least they will realise the number of people who have problems, and the catagorise the problems fall into.

Noel - your post makes perfect sense. There is another member who posts by also using a voice recognition programme.

Martin

Martin Report 7 Aug 2012 21:52

Absolutely hate this new tree. Tried it earlier for the first and added some information. It accepted changes to notes boxes but not to 'date of death' field despite going in multiple times and pressing save each time.

I also don't like how they have changed the type style of places of birth. All the old entries on my tree show the old format with capitals for the place, now all places show as initial caps only. This messes up the whole format of your tree when you print it out or print a report from your tree after exporting a gedcom. Its a mess.

How's about a tree that (a) we like (b) one that works?

I made a complaint to Genes the other day and just got a standard reply addressing NONE of my points and just cutting and pasting bland comments from their FAQs. Insulting.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 7 Aug 2012 22:06

At least your comments will have been logged ;-)

Martin

Martin Report 8 Aug 2012 00:15

Logged in the 'ignore' column I presume!

No website on the net has ever annoyed me as much as this 'makeover' on this site as its one I loved dearly and spent a lot of time on the tree (probably too much). Its not an improvement, I feel its a massive downgrade!

I used to recommend the old site all the time to friends and colleagues, I'll probably have to go around all those people now and apologise to them!

Tomorrow I plan to investigate other on-line trees to see which one I'm moving to.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Aug 2012 00:31

Martin

My suggestion, posted several times over the last few weeks, is..................

keep on sending emails

don't be put off by 1 standard reply

keep sending, and ask for a proper reply, not a hand off.

Eventually, you will get a personal reply

BUT also GR will have logged all the emails you've sent.

Be persistent!!!!

sylvia

Martin

Martin Report 8 Aug 2012 10:19

Did that, sent a second email yesterday and got another standard reply that didn't answer my specific complaint. I have now written athird time asking for a specific response or no response at all.

I am quite capable of using the tree on here, it just isn't retaining all the information input. So to tell me to look at a link for FAQs on how to use the tree when I make a complaint that the tree is not working is frankly rude and unhelpful.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Aug 2012 10:56

For problems with GR it has become clear ( to me ) you will have no other option but to use the Google Chrome browser

Roy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Aug 2012 11:03

What about the Compatability Button under your computer's Tools?

That seems to have sorted many of the tree problems out for some people

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Aug 2012 11:09

I fear the compatibility will not work for long? just as the link to the old tree was removed?

See my thread on this board

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1307709

I had my suspicions for a while now but I simply don't trust anything GR say anymore

Roy

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Aug 2012 11:19

We use Windows Vista, and that's fine.....no problems at all.

edit - on another thread someone has posted
"I`m on IE9 and I have no problems"

Yes, Estelle has said that there is still a problem fixing the Print, and that Chrome is the version they are working on, but every other function works fine with the afore mentioned versions.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 8 Aug 2012 12:04

I don't have a problem with viewing GR

GR have been actively promoting the Chrome browser

GR actively promoted the new tree and the new version of the new tree

and what happened?

Roy

Estelle

Estelle Report 8 Aug 2012 12:30

Just to clarify, I did suggest Chrome on another thread - but only to someone who wanted to print out the list view. We thoroughly test the tree (and the whole site) in all browsers and do fix any problems we come across. The tree should work properly in any browser you use. We would always suggest that you use the most updated version of your browser where possible.

Estelle

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 8 Aug 2012 12:35

Perhaps you need to go back and clarify that comment Estelle? :-D ;-)

Edit - you already have :-D