Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Description of what the pale colour is like for

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Aug 2012 12:29

someone with an eye problem. For GR and those who think the moaners are unjustified.

a little description, this is why I get so annoyed by people who 'don't know'.

About 2 months ago I was sitting reading this board when a small very black spider on a web came across my left eye ( it's my 'bad' eye anyway, worse vision than the right eye),, I brushed my hair away thinking it was attached, but the spider remained. It is a large black 'floater', eye tests immediately, showed it 'could ' be the beginning of a detached retina...but I knew that already because my mum had it.

She described it as a 'black blob' in the centre of everything she looked at.But I really didn't comprehend how difficult it made things, you don't unless you experience the same.

My little friend is a floating spider, it doesn't show particularly intrusively if I look at darker colours, but againsy expanses of white, or pale colours it swings about back and forth, and in an effort to 'not see it' I frown and concentrate until the effort to do so gives me a headache.

Now why do that you ask? why not do 'something else', well I don't know , do YOU have a hobby that you love, that you fight against giving up? for me that is being able to write, it is being able to do research for myself and others, it is being able to chat to people who I have something ( or often nothing) in common with.

No it isn't the end of the world that this site is harder to use now, harder than Ancestry say, (where a page of census has more black than white) but for me, and I suggest for some of those who are complaining about the changes here, it is just another little thing that is 'taken away', a bit of pleasure that is subtly denied, one more thing one 'can't do' for fun.

I think it wouldn't hurt for those who are hale and hearty to just think for a moment how they would feel if it were them with the problem. Some might have a real whinge, some might be more stoic lol, but it doesn't mean people are imagining the problem, nor should keep silent just to please those who don't have the same problems and some use the boards much less than others so the problem for them IS minimal .

All anyone is asking for is a bit of thought to go into finding what will suit as many members as possible.

Thanks for reading.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 5 Aug 2012 12:41

Rose -

I think the problem is that in general the site does suite as many as it possibly can- so site is perfect and as we all know Genes falls short in many areas.

However, I am sure that it would only take a little tweaking to make just a few improvements

1: tone down the white to maybe a very pale cream
2: Make the pale green/purple writing a bit darker.

Just those 2 tweaks alone would satisfy many on here.

C'mon genes - its your long time members you should be thinking about .....

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 5 Aug 2012 12:45

Rose, The problem with

Those who think the moaners are unjustified?

from my prospective I am happy for people who are having problems such as you describe But the answer is to work with GR by way of feedback to make the site and viewing experience acceptable to all members

Their are more posts moaning about the removal of the old tree now than about the viewing experience of those with eye problems

Roy

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Aug 2012 12:48

It's better than it was, PigletsPal. Making the pale green text darker or bolder would help, making the text bolder so it covers more of the background also helps.

Rambling

Rambling Report 5 Aug 2012 13:02

I have kept the feedback going to GR also Roy :-D as you say they are the ones who need to know.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 5 Aug 2012 15:08

Rose I'm in full support of darkening of the blue/lilac font and even making them bold so they are easier on the eyes.

I am also suggesting they frame the names on one's tree. at the moment the names look like they are floating

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Aug 2012 17:32

The names are framed!! But the frames are almost the same colour as the background and therefore probably invisible to many people.

I have made my tree easier to read by enlarging it - not by using GR's zoom but by holding down the Control button on my keyboard and scrolling the mouse. This also has the effect of enlarging the sliding panel and makes it much clearer.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Aug 2012 23:49

Well said Rose!

I am another who finds the background far too light, and glaring.

I had cataract surgery some years ago, and one of the resultant side effects of that can be an increased awareness or problem with very bright light or bright surfaces. I find myself squinting at the screen when backgrounds are too bright.

My eyesight is far too precious to damage ................ but, like Rose, this is a hobby I enjoy!

I was one of the members asked to test the beta site .................... and my very first email regarded the impossibility of reading the white background.

The "team" did respond to those early emails from myself and others by cvhanging the background to a very light grey.

That background is still too light and glaring.

I sent more emails, regarding the colour as well as other features of the test site.

It is now about 10 days ago sincePhil Moir said that the text colour, size and background were being reviewed because of reviewers comments, but that it would take some time.

Now I note that GR have posted on Announcements .............

"We are, at this moment in time, reviewing the text colour, size and background. We have listened to your feedback and will be deciding what changes should be made over the next couple of days. Please be patient, all changes, however minor, need thorough implementation and testing."

I have just returned to the site after a few days holiday ......... and find that I still have the problem.

SO .................... I have sent yet another email to "theteam"!

I have suggested several times that changing the background colour to a pale beige, or even leaving it at the pale green that it was up until last week, is the easy solution.

Both those colours are ones that are often recommended as being "easy on the eye".

sylvia

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 6 Aug 2012 02:09

I too sent an email regarding the brightness (now toned down a tad) and the colours, also asked GR many questions.

Got a generic response (which I have responded to!!!)

I use 125% here now, amd have adjusted the brightness, the only way I can see anything on this site.

Not happy :-(