Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

  • The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

  • New posts
  • No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WARNING date formats in gedcoms from old tree.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

KenSE

KenSE Report 16 Aug 2012 19:43

I seem to remember something about this in a previous thread but can't find it.

I thought I would export my GR gedcom and import it into Roots Magic and then run the Potential Problems tool. Ususally this may give two or three errors which I can go back and cprrect on my GR tree.

This time it gave me two pages of errors to do with dates, eg Born after marriage.

I haven't checked them all out but it seems to result from my using the date format 23 Sep in the birth date column but without a year as that is in the separate Birth Year box. In the old tree the birth date box wasn't large enough for 23-Sep-1812 but the new tree expects the format DD/MM/YYYY. If a year isn't given it assumes 2012.

Similarly for death dates.

If the List facility included bith and death dates (as well as years) it would make it easier to check for this situation.




KenSE

KenSE Report 18 Aug 2012 19:32

This has happened to someone else see this thread:

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1308483?jump=1308483

Gai

Gai Report 19 Aug 2012 04:53

Hi KenSE

The link to the thread below was the first time I was aware of a problem.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1307876


Gai

KenSE

KenSE Report 19 Aug 2012 08:46

Thanks Gai, I thought I has seen it before somewhere.

I previously produced a gedcom on 5 Jan 2012 and there was only one instance of 2012 in it and that was in the date the gedcom was created.

I produced one as a precaution on 23 July 2012 and there are numerous instances of 2012 in it even though any changes I made to the tree since January have been minimal.

As viewed by Notepad, the old gedcom did not contain newlines whereas the new one is neatly laid out and legible.

Gai

Gai Report 19 Aug 2012 08:57


You're welcome.

I say this is going to be an ongoing problem and won't be the last time another member posts about it.


Gai

Andy

Andy Report 18 Feb 2013 14:01

RELATED / SIMILAR PROBLEMS

I have had the same problem and with a variation -

- If I put a date in without a day number (just month and year) it puts the day as the 1st of the month in the output

There is also another problem / change - previously when you ticked the 'Unsure' box against a date it would be exported with ABT against the date and it leaves that off


Also, I think that if there is only one parent enterred for a family then the relationships section at the end of the GedCom file isn't created for that parent

Andy