Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Support?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Catherine

Catherine Report 22 Aug 2012 09:50

Please, please tell me it was a joke!
In my tree I used the Feedback button to tell Genes I had problems with one of the 'boxes' in the 'Details' pane. They replied asking me to be more specific.
I was more specific and even sent them a screenshot of the window with my tree and the different panes, boxes, frames, sections... which showed where I had a problem (letters are missing at the beginning of each line).

I have had a reply this morning. I was pleased as it was so quick. I was dumbfounded when I read it becauise I was told:
on their (support) system they are unable to open attachments.

I am sorry people but Iis ther any more to add?

Catherine :-S

Gai

Gai Report 22 Aug 2012 10:19

That's correct support can't open attachments to message. I have sent numerous messages with attachments and then get told they can't open them.

I have tried sending them a copy of a census page which you can't find on GR and was told they can't open them but send them the street address. But there is no street address on the page so I'm stuck.

I also send them on a regular basis Ancestry ads that appear on the boards and have even posted them of Facebook because of the attachment issue with support.

Gai :-)

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 22 Aug 2012 11:03

this is too ridiculous to be funny :-P What sort of Server do GR have??

I thought they were all computer whiz kids!

Catherine ~ I sent screenshots to support, but I copied & pasted them to my email........... it looked like a roll of wallpaper lol

Not that it helped............ I got a response, with a screenshot of what THEY got when they tried the same thing. :-P

Catherine

Catherine Report 23 Aug 2012 12:35

Thanks to the pair of you for reacting to my post. I must admit I am surprised that 'on their (support) system they are unable to open attachments' did not suscitate more of an outcry from others so all I can think is it is acceptable. Surely I am not being too demanding but perhaps I am.
Anyway I got a reply from Support this morning - why 3 exchanges and each time signed off by a different Support-person? There is no follow-up? Anyway today's reply was telling me how to check my compatibility settings. And this time Scozz I cut & pasted my screenshot to my mail so we'll see what happens now...
And Scozz - perhaps more importantly - are you still witth us? :-)

JerryH

JerryH Report 23 Aug 2012 15:15

I rarely come on this site now as I am so dissappointed by the new layout. - and reading some of the messages, I am unlikely to mess about with my tree for some time.

But as to the ability of GR to receive screen shots etc, I have had more success.
Twice I have sent them screen shots as Jpg files. The first was sent by PM to Phil Moir and I know that got through OK
I have also sent a screen shot to TheTeam re the new website.
Alternatively you could try posting on (say) Tinypic and then send GR the link to view it.

Jeremy

Catherine

Catherine Report 23 Aug 2012 15:28

Thanks Jeremy. This morning I sent my screen shot as a Jpg file and it was received. But yes I do like your idea of sending through (say!) Tinypic - I would never have thought of that. I adore these workarounds which are straightforward.

But I do have GOOD NEWS! I know they got my screen shot because a little while ago I had a lovely mail from someone in support who had been looking into my problem and guess what - it was a compatability setting!!!
I could give that Support Person a big big hug!

Estelle

Estelle Report 24 Aug 2012 08:54

Hi everyone, I am afraid our support team are unable to receive attachmentsat the support email address. However, if you want to send one then they will happily give you their private email address so that you can send it there.

Kind regards,

Estelle

Catherine

Catherine Report 24 Aug 2012 09:17

Thanks Estelle. Nonetheless I will say that it is one devil of an uphill struggle to move ahead on Genes these days. My fun pastime has become almost a chore.
Catherine

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 24 Aug 2012 12:35

Catherine (this feels weird, cos that's my name too!)

Yes, I'm still here.

I renewed my membership two days ago. I had considered not renewing, because the site was in such a mess! But the tree seems to be working (for now) if I remember to have the Compatability ON/OFF (can never remember which way), and I do enjoy using the boards. I think it works out less than $1.35 (Aus) a month... I can afford that. :-D

I've been a member for seven years, a bit shocked to just find out that support can't open attachments (unless they give us a special email address).