Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mace is not a Scottish name...

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Robin

Robin Report 23 Aug 2012 02:15

My mother's maiden name was Mace, from London. However Genes Reunited insists on transferring her and her forebears a long way North and renaming her and all the others MacE.
I'd love to be qualified to wear the kilt, but hardly think I should, however handsome my knees.
When is GR going to stop trying to be smart and treating any name that starts with Mac as Scottish?
Robin

:-P

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 23 Aug 2012 02:26

lolol Robin

You probably know Mc / Mac means "son of"... so GR thinks your lot are sons of E ?

I have lots of Mc names on my tree; I get annoyed with the GR system that changes my McSomebodies to Mcsombodies.

I'm sure your knees are kilt-worthy :-D

Francesca

Francesca Report 23 Aug 2012 11:54

Will this unpleasant new phenomenon affect Machins and Machells etc too ?
Do they turn into MacHin and MacHell ? (Hmmm, Sons of Hell - who could that be ?)
I've got Machins in my family and hundreds of McSomebodies too.
All my ancestors' names were saved wholly in Block Capitals, to differentiate them from other relatives, which made it easy to identify them while navigating around my Old style family tree. After the Old tree format was removed on the 19th July 2012 if I input and saved any new data in their notes boxes their names started changing into an initial capital then all lower case letters. I complained to GR about this as did at least one other member. They told me it was my fault for importing a Gedcom to my Old tree (I never had) and that the New tree format won't accept names wholly in Block Capitals. So my family tree is permanently disfigured too.
I suggest GR introduces another 'exciting' new feature such as allowing members to have what the Old tree gave us - the ability to decide who our relatives are and how their names should be recorded. Better still just scrap this user-hostile disaster of a New tree and give us back the Old one. Or even both.
As one qualified to wear the kilt I assure you that some knees are better left in long trousers.

Robin

Robin Report 23 Aug 2012 20:11

Thanks Scozz and Francesca.
The old tree did the same to Maces, I just haven't mentioned it before.
And I do wear shorts for walking and in summer but then I live in the country. The cows are too polite to laugh.
I didn't know ladies wore the kilt, I thought they wore tartan skirts.
Robin in Rawene NZ

Francesca

Francesca Report 24 Aug 2012 21:39

Who said I was a lady ? ;-)