Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestions: GENERAL

Page 2 + 1 of 10

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 31 Aug 2012 10:21

Rollo had posted a very long link which tends to stretch the page.

The page seems fine to me, so he may have broken the link into bite sized pieces.

If anyone is suspicious that theirs may do the same, its always worth creatinging a 'mini url' (google it) out of the address.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 31 Aug 2012 13:51

My Threads

Is there any way that this could be split to show threads started by the member and those added to by the member.

I have almost 800 pages of threads so would like at times to just show those I have started myself.

UPDATED 5 December 2012 - Well done Team for changing this

You are looking at all threads that you have either started or contributed to. If you want to just see threads you have started, click My Threads - Started. If you want to just see only threads you have contributed to but not started, click My Threads - Contributed To.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 1 Sep 2012 21:10

My Account - credit card details

Why is the option to change credit card details not under My Account. You have to go to Home Page and select Subscribe to alter the card details.

My card has expired and all I want to do is put in a new date

UNLESS that means GR will take my card payment regardless of what date is showing.

UPDATED 14th Sept 2012
My subscription expires today and so far nothing from GR to say they have taken or attempted to take my subscription

UPDATED 14th Sept 2012
Now had a message timed at 14.29 to say that GR have taken my subscription. I know for a fact that my card expired at the end of August 2012.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 3 Sep 2012 12:53

It is good that hyperlinks have been enabled
( http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1267253 ).
Please enable them within personal messages, too.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Sep 2012 05:56

Please make it easier for people to find out how to contact you.

The word "Help" is NOT enough for people to realise that that is where to go to find Contact Us

May I suggest that you add an extra tab along the top row ........ either next to Help or at the end of the row .... and call it Contact Us

There have been several postings, both on here and on the GR FB Wall from people asking for help to contact support because they just cannot see how to do it.

sylvia

Kay????

Kay???? Report 5 Sep 2012 09:49

careful on the change of CC-DC,,,,it maybe seen as a new account and charged at the top rate.!

they use the last card details entered.

wisechild

wisechild Report 5 Sep 2012 13:03

Glitterbaby.
Kay´s right.
I complained last year that I couldn´t give them the new credit card details.
Got no response from GR but apparently, they try to take your subs from the old card & when it´s refused, they write & ask you for your new card details.
Cock-eyed or what???

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 6 Sep 2012 09:25

Suggestion Re:Threads

My suggestion is that an additional 'threads' option be added - along the lines of 'My Reference Threads'.

GlitterBaby suggested the following on 31/8/12 at 13:51:

"My Threads

Is there any way that this could be split to show threads started by the member and those added to by the member."

and I endorse this suggestion.

Also JoyKentishMaid suggested on the 25/8/12 at 08.37:

"There are many useful tips in the genealogy chat board, many by the ever helpful Jonesey. Please create a separate tips board for them."

and I endorse this in principle - but it is possible that all sorts of 'non-tips' might inadvertently be placed on Tips Board. So my suggestion is to request a 'My References Thread' which could operate on the same basis as my watched threads, but not necessarily require an e-mail notification if/when a reply has been added. I refer specifically to Jonesey's 'Tip of the Day' threads that I have just added to my watched list and also one by mgnv about grid references, on a Liverpool Streets thread. I am not (currently) interested in Liverpool streets but am very interested in the fact that using mgnv's explanation I could locate a street/place I am interested in for my research.

It would be more practical for me if I could view them in a 'My Reference Threads'.

Sorry the suggestion got a bit long, but thought I would explain my reasons why it would be helpful for me - and perhaps other members.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 6 Sep 2012 22:21

Suggest that you reorganize the Boards Summary Board and Community Boards Summary .................... semi-alphabetical would be the simplest!!

ie, from

Announcements
Success Stories
General Chat
Quizzes and Games
Genealogy Chat
Find Ancestors
Find Living Relatives
Suggestions

to ..............

Announcements
Find Ancestors
Find Living Relatives
Genealogy Chat
General Chat
Suggestions
Success Stories
Quizzes and Games

Hopefully this would lead to more people posting on the relevant Boards.

At the same time ......... please do away with the Family Profile and its included false "Discussions" on Home Page ...................

The "discussions" are NOT discussions ....................... they are random pick-up of a mention of surname or home town, no matter in what form it is found.

If you MUST have it, ....................

a) re-name it ................... "discussions" is NOT the word you want. Consult an "old-time" editor (ie, someone educated prior to about 1980) to determine what is a more correct word. I would offer to do it ......... but I charge £50-60 per hour :-D

b) set the computer search programme so that it will only truly pick up either name ........... not just a mention on hundreds of census records that have no relevance (eg, occurrence of home town).

sylvia

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 7 Sep 2012 12:07

A few years ago, one could not only find threads in which one had posted, but also one's own posts within them; this function disappeared, but I would find it useful again if I wanted to delete all my posts within a thread.

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1271110

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 7 Sep 2012 13:13

Please move actioned threads in the suggestions board to a sub board within the suggestions board.

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1280769

Estelle

Estelle Advisor Report 11 Sep 2012 10:47

Hi everyone, thank you for your suggestions so far. I have been on holiday for a couple of weeks, which is why I haven't been posting. I will be spending some time this week reading all of the latest suggestions. J

oy - I am unable to move threads. I need to speak to Phil to see if there is something we can do about that.

Kind regards,

Estelle

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 11 Sep 2012 12:43

Estelle - Phil can and has moved threads.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 12 Sep 2012 14:46

Re those with board name of unknown - please advise them how to have a name :)

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1271614

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 12 Sep 2012 14:54

Re consistent time format across site - it still looks like ie 02.15pm until the thread is opened when it reads 14.15; looks rather silly, don't you think? Just a minor matter but still an irritation.

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1268765

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 12 Sep 2012 14:56

Re quoting another person's comments -

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1269989

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 12 Sep 2012 14:58

Re reviewing a find living relatives post - please advise the original poster of the reason.

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1269130

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 13 Sep 2012 09:23

People like to customise things to suit their own taste and needs ... workplace, car, mobile phone, OS desktop, browser, WinAmp etc etc ....

Thanks to CSS it has become much easier for any site to offer themes and skins.

It is then somewhat curious that Gru does not allow users to customise the site to suit their own preferences. I suggest that this policy be changed.

KenSE

KenSE Report 13 Sep 2012 12:28

Since Genes direct members with problems to the support team, would it be too much to ask that the team read what is actually in the emails sent to them.

I sent them some observations I had made re searching for people on the tree. I started of by stating my OS & Browser and noting the fact that I have Compatibility View switched off. At the end I said I didn't need a reply.

Of course I got one and you can guess what it said.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 Sep 2012 22:59

Facebook

Would the Team stop posting information on that site that should be shown first on this site such as the terms and conditions of the photo competition:

It has been a while since we last ran a photo competition, so what better time than the end of the summer season to relive our holidays! Let's dig out those old holiday photos past and present. A fantastic hamper is up for grabs, including a Platinum subscription to Genes Reunited! We also have a collection of family history charts kindly donated by the website Genealogy Printers. Just send your photo to competitions@genesreunited.co.uk with a brief description of when and where it was taken. The competition ends on Monday 24th September. Good luck!
Terms and conditions apply and they can be found here - https://www.facebook.com/notes/genes-reunited/holiday-photo-competition-tcs/503240419705600.