Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

The British Newspaper Archive

British Newspaper Archive

Read about historical events at the time they were happening. Perhaps you'll discover your ancestor in their local newspaper?

Start searching

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestions: GENERAL

Page 4 + 1 of 10

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 29 Sep 2012 01:43

A minor request
Under MESSAGES and MOVE TO FOLDER
The scroll down includes MOVE TO FOLDER or ARCHIVE plus any folders you have previously set up.
However if after select a message and by just click MOVE TO FOLDER it does nothing, not even present the scroll down.
May I suggest the scroll down is presented every time and should include CREATE NEW FOLDER
Even better, perhaps the scroll down provides an option to CREATE FOLDER FOR *** (the name of the sender) etc

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 1 Oct 2012 22:43

Support Team

Would they please read any messages sent to them and not respond with the stock question of what operating system and browser is being used.

DIZZI

DIZZI Report 3 Oct 2012 07:47

COULD WE HAVE A ALSO KNOWN AS SEARCH,I DONT KNOW WHO IM TALLKING SOME TIME WHEN THEYB NAME CHANGE

Robert

Robert Report 3 Oct 2012 17:55

On GR I can move my inbound mail to a new or existing folder - but I can not move my sent mail (often in reply to the inbound ).

Can this be rectified

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Oct 2012 00:54

I don't know if it's just new members doing this, but I find it annoying!!!

I really dislike receiving a message "Request to View Your Tree" and nothing else!

I check, and find that I have NOT had previous contact with these people.

They give NO information, don't say who they are looking for (but you can find out if you click on their name). They just want to look at YOUR tree ~ and usually DO NOT give access to theirs.

I think this is RUDE!!!!!!!!

Perhaps GR could have something in the Guidelines, for the people with NO MANNERS.

I used to respond to these people, asking who they were looking for. Now I don't bother.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Oct 2012 01:08

Scozz

Unfortunately ..............

that is an automated message that GR has set up to save people time!!

I think if they do a tree search or a Hot Match, that suggested message appears for them to send.

There were complaints about it last week, when it first appeared.

sylvia

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 15 Oct 2012 06:16

Yes Sylvia, I know it is an "auto" message, but I've NEVER sent a request to view anyone's tree unless I have been in touch with them, and given access to my tree.

I put these people in the same category as those who barely knock at a door and just walk straight in.

Bl**dy rude!!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 15 Oct 2012 06:30

GR obviously thought it was a good idea .... NOT!

It appeared after the latest improvements, a week or so ago.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Oct 2012 01:05

A week ago?

No, it's been around for years.

I've been getting the "Request to View Your Tree" for years!!

jax

jax Report 16 Oct 2012 01:18

Scozz

It has been around for years where you can tick different replies when you send a pm.

More details?
Sorry, not my relative..
Sorry, not my ancestor..
Family tree request..

But this message has appeared in the last week when you search for contacts in the search trees...why dont you search for someone then you can see what we mean

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 16 Oct 2012 12:00

My point is........ just sending a "Request to view your tree" with NO other information, is DOWNRIGHT RUDE!!

IMHO

jax

jax Report 16 Oct 2012 13:22

Maybe it is...but its Genes fault for having this default message in the first place.

I already have a thread about this on genealogy chat, where I make a point in saying that new members may not realise that they can edit the message hence the reason these requests are being sent with no other details

Jeremy

Jeremy Report 16 Oct 2012 19:21

A quaterly mash up database query of the main competitor's genealogy web sites would be extremely gratifying through your hot matches / trump facility, perhaps as part of the subscriptions package or a one off payment? I don't have time to duplicate all my data to other web sites in the off chance that a distant relative could be using another web site for family history.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 18 Oct 2012 09:02

It would be nice if the ongoing error message was resolved permanently.

Susan

Susan Report 19 Oct 2012 09:13

Now you have the facility to keep images of ancestors on here, how about a section where unidentified photos could be put on for other people to search, by surname/ county/time period - or any combination of all three. This way other people can search for images they recognise (and possibly identify) and contact the owner of the displayed images to discuss who the person might be/confirm identity.

I have about 18 photos from 1850 to early 20th century - I know the families they would have come from, and the area, but no idea who any of them are!!!

philmoir

philmoir Advisor Report 28 Oct 2012 01:12

Thanks to everyone who has posted in this thread. I've spent the last few (wet) hours of British Summer Time reading through all the posts. From this alone, I have about 57 individual suggestions, 3 of which I believe have been actioned (boards paging, profile on home page removed, default share tree off), a few are regular issues of do 1 way or other (such as sorting posts, including emoticons, etc.) which are hard to take action with. But the rest are all valid, and I'll keep you posted on progress. Thanks again. Phil

RolloTheRed

RolloTheRed Report 28 Oct 2012 06:41

Number of bug fixing issues cited by Phil Moire in his recent post: NIL.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 28 Oct 2012 07:06

Thanks, Phil

Looking forward to hearing more about progress on the actions.

sylvia

in wet western Canada :-)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 28 Oct 2012 09:20

Thank you Phil for at least looking at this thread.

Simon

Simon Report 28 Oct 2012 17:24

I agree Glitterbaby, thanks to Phil for (at last) reading through this thread and for picking up on the 54 outstanding items that members have been asking for over the past few months.

Now we need to see regular (and frequent - weekly, perhaps) posts from you, Phil, to update us on the progress to resolving the outstanding issues.

Oh, and Phil, you might care to read the Tree Suggestions thread as well and make a note all all the suggestions there... PLEASE!