Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

New Military Records

New military records

Was your ancestor a war hero?

View thousands of brand new military records, including Chelsea Pensioner records, Military Nurses, Prisoners of war and much more.

View military records today

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestions: GENERAL

Page 6 + 1 of 10

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 20 Jan 2013 00:14

There is a problem with this suggestion and that is that Victor stated he will not be renewing so that thread should not be stickied or put on a separate board

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 20 Jan 2013 00:18

GB

some tips threads have been stickied even though the OP is no longer on GR

For example, one by Heather Positive Thinker

But the difference here is that Victor is offering continuing help ............ and the others have only offered advice.

I'm afraid Victor is only one of many long-time members who will no longer be offering their help by the end of the year.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 20 Jan 2013 00:36

Yes I was only referring to Victor as he is offering lookups and will only be around for another 4 weeks approx.

A bit worried that any lookup thread might end up stickied. Sometimes an old one gets dragged up which has not been used for months and longer but because one member posts on it others follow suit.

Any threads that offer good advice should be stickied - like many by Jonesey.

But GR are missing a trick when they do not provide decent research tips themselves

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 20 Jan 2013 23:57

I also wonder why GR do not provide decent research tips themselves, but then if the research tips are provided by many (paying) members of GR then Genes are getting the expertise, tips, help, research, recommendations etc, etc provided for free. Stickying the tips (and certain specific, not general, lookup offers) would be helpful.

I looked at the Home Page and the tip.."Need help or advice?" is to "Ask the Genes Community - Our members are always happy to help anyone who needs a hand with their family history."

As to Victor's threads (Gloucestershire Archives and NBI Lookups) and also other similar threads for" Derbyshire Parish Records", "Useful sites; please add" and "Starting family history research" and Jonesey's various "Tips" ,just seemed logical to me that being 'stickied' would put practical, informative and helpful threads where they would be more likely to be seen, read and hopefully applied, for example the stickied " PLEASE check the date on the thread" thread.

Genes must have some criteria already when it comes to stickying threads at the top of a board, and to safeguard against 'any' lookup thread being stickied then perhaps the length of time since first posting and the responses of members using the thread could be further criteria.

If a stickied thread seems to have been inappropriately stickied, then a suggestion could always been made on this board to have it unstickied.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 29 Jan 2013 10:56

A suggestion partially taken up http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1318489

JannieAnnie

JannieAnnie Report 29 Jan 2013 23:28

I support a comment in the post on Genealogy Chat to have a stickied "Useful Sites" along the lines of the absolutely practical post made today by KenSE giving a summary of Jonesey's Tips - to include Joy Kentish Maid's posts such as:

Military Research Tips - please add
Useful books - please add
Useful Sites - please add

there may even be more "please add" posts on the Boards. The good thing with this would be that the original posts can continue to have more useful sites added but the summary post would give quick access to all available 'please add' posts.

I also agree with the comment on KenSE's post about GEDCOMs - why not a post with links to ALL GEDCOM explanations - one explanation might be clear to one member whereas another explanation might be clearer to another member. At least it will be 'belt and braces' . OR If we ask Jonesey nicely maybe he would prepare a GEDCOM Tip of the Day from the information already posted on the Boards

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 30 Jan 2013 07:22

major problem as a result of the nudging of all the tips threads

I've just been working my way through TWO pages full of tips on Genealogy Chat

......................no-one is going to work their way through all those dratted threads to find people who want help.

I certainly am not!

Something else will have to be thought of.

it's another nail in the coffin as far as I am concerned!

sylvia

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 30 Jan 2013 11:57

Agree with Sylvia

Not bothered trying to find threads that need help on Genealogy Chat with all those "useful" threads have been nudged up

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 2 Feb 2013 04:19

Trumps messages shoul be accessible in on the Home page as i Ido not have Email on this computer.. Also, when accessing the trumps Emails from you on our main computer the page comes up in Google Chrome, a horrible device. Would be good to have the the option of opening them in Google,. I find about 50% are in my contacts already.
Ken

Peter

Peter Report 5 Feb 2013 02:22

The place names listed in census searches do not mean much to me.
How about a link to a map?
This would also help me decide whether a name found in consecutive censuses belonged to the same individual.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Feb 2013 03:43

Peter .........

problem with that is that not everyone uses the same geographical term for the same person ..................

for example, John Smith b. Chadderton, Oldham, Lancashire

you can find this listed as

Chadderton
Chadderton, Lancashire
Chadderton, Oldham, Lancashire
Oldham
Oldham, Lancashire
Lancashire

and all of these could be correct!

Then you have the places that straddle county lines ............... do you enter them as Lancashire or Westmorland? Both are correct.

As for the censuses .......... the geographical names used are those that are on the actual census. They are transcribed directly from that census and cannot be (should not!) be changed.

Mis-spellings in transcription can be submitted as Alternate Information .......... but the actual names should not be changed.

Also, don't forget that place names in England and Wales have changed over the centuries, county boundaries have been changed (even towards the end of last century!) .......

..... and the question becomes do you use the names in effect in 1850, 1950 or 2000?

You should do what the rest of us do ....................... learn the possible names for your people, access a map, or google.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 14 Feb 2013 09:55

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1315256
13 Feb 2013 23:04
More reports are being sent for review unnecessarily.

I have been told that the team does not have the time to moderate the site but, as free sites do - such as http://www.familytreeforum.com/ http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/ http://www.rootschat.com/ and http://www.genealogistsforum.co.uk/ - I do not understand why this fee-paying site will not undertake effective moderation.

KenSE

KenSE Report 14 Feb 2013 11:51

Joy, see Rollo's post of 11:22 on this thread:
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/general_chat/thread/1319485?d=desc

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 14 Feb 2013 20:33

Thank you, Ken.

KenSE

KenSE Report 15 Feb 2013 14:04

I am sorry but the thread I referred to a couple of messages ago has now gone.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 16 Feb 2013 15:04

I'm not sure if this is the right place to write my message so please forgive me if I am wrong.

I keep getting requests to view my tree with no info on who the person is they are looking for. I know this is a GR thing with this message being drafted to suit all, but whilst its quicker for the sender to ask for tree access it is more of a hassle for me having to write to ask who they want info on.

Can GR scrap this message please.

Jennny

jax

jax Report 16 Feb 2013 18:42

Hi Jennifer

Here is another thread about it

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1316682

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 16 Feb 2013 21:30

Thank You Jax..I will go and read through it all. I may find something useful...

Jenny X :-)

tanglewood

tanglewood Report 23 Feb 2013 11:39

My suggestion is STOP SHOWING THAT SILLY WHOA! MESSAGE WHENEVER WE TRY TO PRINT OUR TREE you know it will never be fixed. I have wasted 12 months subscription which (expires today) trying to get HELP in printing my tree, I have been contacting Support the whole time, I have had replies, ie we are working on a solution??? but it is still not available, what is the point in renewing when a member cannot have a paper record if that is what they choose to have? The facility to print is still shown on TREE.
:-D :-( :-S

Mary

Mary Report 1 Apr 2013 17:45

I live in a cottage built in 1650 and it would be helpful to be able to access the census records by county, then town, then parish, and eventually get the records for my road. This is possible on Ancestry.com but I have been unable to find a similar facility on GR. Is there one? I have had to try and find names of families living in the road from one year and hope they appear a decade later! Not ideal. I am also researching history of local pub but that only goes back to the 1860s so not such a problem!! Also, any ideas on house research prior to the census records? Thanks