Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Suggestions: GENERAL

Page 8 + 1 of 10

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 12 May 2013 13:38

Thank you, Roy. I hope that
"After the first post on a thread has been requested for review, please could the thread be locked whilst awaiting a decision on the report?"
will be given consideration; once locked, nothing could be added to the thread until the report had been reviewed.

I also hope that the suggestion of 10 May 2013 08:15 will be given consideration; this is the practice in digital spy as can be seen in
http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1825031

Mayfield

Mayfield Report 13 May 2013 13:38

Perhaps some of the popular long running threads could be moved to a separate board when say they go over a couple of hundred views, if several get postings at around the same time, maybe because someone subscribes to a number of them they can quickly push other postings off the front page and into obscurity. Personally I tend to only scan the first two pages to see what’s new. I tend to feel anything further on I have probably seen but on a busy day that’s not always the case.

Those who subscribe to them would be able to locate them more easily and allow more “front page” space to fresh threads.

Mayfield.

KenSE

KenSE Report 16 May 2013 16:28

Has the advanced search changed recently to give results with most recent first?

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 17 May 2013 16:19

Ken, partially but not completely, and still only the first 40 are supplied.

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 17 May 2013 16:20

• When the original post has been requested for review can the whole thread be locked whilst awaiting a decision on the report?
- As soon as a post is reported it is removed from the conversation. We want to allow members to be able to continue their conversation on that thread so we think it is probably for the best if we don't lock it.

I accept the view of GR, but disagree with it.

Without quoting anything specific, I assure GR that there have been many occasions when the conversation being continued has caused more upset.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 17 May 2013 16:42

25th August 2012 posted by me

A new board perhaps called Computer Help or Technology Help
Threads on General Chat get lost if any one needs help with their computer or TV etc

So puzzled as to why the Team think it was aimed at them to answer

From todays roundup thread

Implementation of an IT help board.
- Our customer support team are able to help members with all of their queries, including IT support. You can contact them at the following email address: support@genesreunited.co.uk

If the Team bother to read the boards they will see that a lot of members do offer help on these type of problems

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 18 May 2013 09:47

About 3 posters continually put smutty jokes on chat threads. Many enjoy a bit of smut and often it makes their day (me included, sometimes). Some don't, are clearly offended and invariably the poster gets reported, so do those who comment.

Can we either ban smut altogether or have a separate board for "Smut, Innuendo and Naughtiness" please :-)

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 19 May 2013 18:42

One of the problems GR have with dealing with smut and innuendo reporting is that the site is used quite legitimately by minors researching their trees.

Anything that is suitable for a 12 year old is fine, but not xxx material.

jax

jax Report 19 May 2013 18:58

I thought you had to be 16 to use these boards?... what I have seen my 16 year old looking at and her language on twitter, anything posted on here is tame in comparison

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 19 May 2013 19:21

The minimum age for using GR is SUPPOSED to be 16 ..........

........ however, I really don't see how GR can police it as they have no means of identifying whether anyone is lying.

I know I have spotted obviously young seekers of information in the past ................... and young teens most certainly have appeared on the FB walls of GR, as well as on those of other sites.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 20 May 2013 08:55

Natasha

•When the original post has been requested for review can the whole thread be locked whilst awaiting a decision on the report?
-" As soon as a post is reported it is removed from the conversation. We want to allow members to be able to continue their conversation" on that thread so we think it is probably for the best if we don't lock it.

As soon as a post is reported it is removed from the conversation, I beg to differ some are still their for days

When a thread or post is reported the continuing conversation tends to be about why it was reported, and not the subject matter and then more comments end up being RR'd leading to more work for GR and more members being put off posting at all

To me this is just a cop out

Roy

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 21 May 2013 19:18

"The minimum age for using GR is SUPPOSED to be 16 .........."

Yes and No....!

"You must be at least 16 years of age to use the Genes Reunited Service. You must not use the Genes Reunited Service if you are under 16 years of age without the supervision and permission of a parent, guardian or teacher. Parents and guardians will be held strictly responsible for any use of the Genes Reunited Service by a minor who is their responsibility. "

Hence the reason for moderating your language.

jax

jax Report 21 May 2013 21:26

You are supposed to be 13 before you can use facebook...but most lie about their age and will start using it as soon as they can.

I once put parental control on my computer...but as I could'nt then search for anything in my home county I had to remove it...SusSEX

Most kids these days seem to have their own computers, laptop, ipads or smart phones and can access anything they want...I am sure they have seen and heard far worse than anything that can be found on Genes

I sometimes wonder if this is a site for children not adults...with the what you can and cannot do...incase you upset someone

Community

Community Advisor Report 22 May 2013 15:29

Hi Porkie_Pie,

As soon as a post is reported it is always removed from the site. If you have an example of a post remaining after you have reported it then you should let the customer support team know and they will investigate.

Thanks
Natasha

jax

jax Report 22 May 2013 15:47

If an opening post is reported then it is removed....but anyone can continue to post on the thread until GR look into it and decide whether it can stay or go

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 22 May 2013 15:49

Natasha, OK but my comment is in relation to the continued comments added to a thread because a post/thread has been reported and often not resolved for days,

When I say I beg to differ I am talking about the thread or post, the content is removed but the post/thread remains with the text, This post has been reported for review,

Quote, We want to allow members to be able to continue their conversation" on that thread so we think it is probably for the best if we don't lock it.

Once a thread/post has been reported the thread usualy turns into a conversation about the reported thread/post and not a continuation of the conversation as intended by the thread Author

edit; Also if a thread is reported then the thread "title" Stays until removed by GR, Some threads have been reported because the thread title may have been offensive to some members which also attracts controversy

Roy

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 23 May 2013 13:00

Re my post:

17 May 2013 16:20

• When the original post has been requested for review can the whole thread be locked whilst awaiting a decision on the report?
- As soon as a post is reported it is removed from the conversation. We want to allow members to be able to continue their conversation on that thread so we think it is probably for the best if we don't lock it.

I accept the view of GR, but disagree with it.

Without quoting anything specific, I assure GR that there have been many occasions when the conversation being continued has caused more upset.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would add that continuing the conversation about a reported post has in the past created unrest and upset among members and, bearing in mind that this site is totally public to view, this has possibly put off potential new members.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 May 2013 17:30

We appear to have two different discussions going on here.

1. Locking reported threads.

The issue I see developing is trying to come up with a 'One Size Fits All' solution, which rarely works.

2. Smut and Innuendo

Regardless of what 12, 13, 14, 15 or 16 year olds might or might not text each other or put on Facebook or anywhere else for that matter, this site is not the place to post xxx material.

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 23 May 2013 21:36

IGP. I hate to take issue. But aren't we supposed to be suggesting and Genes summarising and guiding our suggestions :-S

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 5 Jun 2013 20:38

I would suggest that posts can only be edited within a short time of having been posted, ie perhaps ten minutes.

Sometimes, after responses are added, the original post is changed which can make responses look irrelevant.

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1273123

Complementing my suggestion:

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1269989
Quoting another poster's comments

Please enable a poster to quote another poster's comments.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If my suggestion about editing posts was received favourably, then one could quote one's own posts, too.