Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Missing Data

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Hilary

Hilary Report 28 Aug 2012 10:49

Are you able to add missing census data? I have found my grandparents on the 1911 Census on Ancestry.com but not on Genes Reunited.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Aug 2012 11:12

It could be a difference in transcription.

Just to check, you could start a thread on Find Ancestors - other people with a record sub for GR may be able to work out what has gone on.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Aug 2012 11:24

It probably is on GR but mistranscribed.

Do a wild card search

ie Patrick Callaghan could be under Patrice Callahan so in search you put Pat* Call* and see what turns up.

Have found many a missing rellie this way.

All the records on Ancestry & FMP and other are transcribed by different people and even by computer. Many people who do the transribing may not be conversant with English, or if in UK not familiar with the area they are transcribing, all of these factors can lead to some odd names and place names. I am sure we can all list loads of errors we have found. And even relllies who in their haste to fill in the 1911 census spelt their own names wrong, my g/grandfather spelt his sons' name Regniald instead of Reginald, so grandad will forever be Regniald as that is what is written on the original!!!

So as said before if you cannot find a relative, do some 'out of the box' thinking. You will find you become quite expert at what combinations for all your family names could become ;-)

jax

jax Report 29 Aug 2012 14:47

If its missing on GR its probably missing on FMP too.

Do an address search on FMP...or ask someone else to, that way you should be able to tell.

I found one missing the other day, infact half the street had not been transcribed from what I could see

Gai

Gai Report 30 Aug 2012 09:06

If you email support at GR and tell them the address then they will look at it.

In my case there is no address on the page or the previous pages so GR can do nothing.

Gai