Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Gift subscriptions

Genes Reunited gift subscription

Do you know someone interested in discovering their family history?

You can now buy a gift subscription to Genes Reunited so they can research their family tree.

Buy gift or redeem gift

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tree too large to Print?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Helen

Helen Report 30 Aug 2012 19:19

Is there anyone else whose Family Tree is so large it can't be printed? That's the problem I have and each time I'm told they are working on updating their Printing System.
I have 200 - 250 on my Tree
Help! :-(

Barry

Barry Report 31 Aug 2012 12:09

I have been asking for close on 10 months when will I be able to print a full tree of just 214 names
Unable to get a straight anwer from GR

Helen

Helen Report 31 Aug 2012 16:22

Thanks Barry for the reply, am sure we can't be the only ones with this problem, I am getting fed up now :-(

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 31 Aug 2012 16:44

Helen, Sorry i cannot help I use the family tree program on my PC to print my tree so i have not used the print facility on GR for years but when i did it wasn't much good it would take 18 to 20 pages of A4 to print just a small portion of your tree,

I have noted that others have complained about the print not working on GR but they tend to just start a thread to have a rant about it then they don't return to the thread again so the thread just disappears into the distance in a day or two

you could complain to GR using the "contact us" in the help section

Roy

Helen

Helen Report 1 Sep 2012 18:48

Thanks Roy for your input to my question, seems to be big problem as I have checked way back to 2009 and it was a problem also. I even Import Gedcom and they said I could download and print and that didnt work either.
I also logged into Ancestry.com and managed to do couple of pages but surely these I.T. guys can come up with a plan.

Oh well, I will do the "British" thing and say no more!! What happened to "The Customer is always right"

Helen :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Sep 2012 10:36

I'm with Roy with this one.

In the first flush of enthusiasm, I was able to print out my tree of about 50 people. It took loads of paper and the lounge floor to lay it out on to stick together. Many of the pages were blank to square it off.

Even if you could print out your full tree (problems aside, I think the faciltiy only supports up to about 200 people) you'd probably need a ream of paper and the Village Hall to sort it out!

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 2 Sep 2012 11:35

DetEctive is right - I too printed out not only mine but cousins for comparison - never again!!!

As said 50+ sheets for both and loads of blank sheets to make it 'square'.

If you are really desperate for a copy of your tree and Genealogy Printers (Ron) does a varied selection of trees at varying prices and I (and many others on here) can heartily recommend. I know you probably do not want to spend money, but sometimes it can be worth it.

Also there are some Free tree programs on the net and you can transfer a Gedcom file to one of these and print out from there.

I would suggest maybe deleting this thread from here and re-posting a request on the Genealogy Chat board about free Family Tree sites. Hope you do not mind.. :-)

Helen

Helen Report 2 Sep 2012 14:00

Thanks to my fellow Genes Reunited Bloggers!

I have now printed most of my Tree from Ancestry.com and have decided to go to my local Geneological Centre and for 10.00 can get advice from an Expert for two hours.

I will let you know the outcome in due course.

:-)

KathyS

KathyS Report 2 Sep 2012 22:50

With regards to printing my family tree, like Barry I too have been asking GR about this for over a year now and they also tell me that my tree is to large to print (I have 1,021 relations in mine, but there are members with thousands more) and they say they are working on a system to 'trick' my printer into being able to print the tree. They told me to try printing from ancestors/descendents and I've tried this, have manage to print a few, but mostly when the print preview box appears it is not central to the page so you have to drag it up then you can't get it back to view the bottom. More often than not the print preview is blank or, some of the tree appears but not only in the 'box' but BELOW it (very strange). Then you try to print it but when it does the page comes out blank.
My last reply from them suggested I use a new internet browser to view my tree, I dont think I should have to do this, and they also suggested to Export a Gedcom, but then in order to view my tree I will need a Family Software package !!!!!
I'm also finding it so frustrating that when the family tree page appears the tree relations are confined to a small grey square (top left hand corner) where it's only possible to view about five relations across, if you're lucky. The rest of the viewing page is just a large white area.
I've contacted GR on many occasions, I do get replies but they dont always answer all of my queries. I used to go onto my tree pretty often but thats changed as it's so much hassle these days, spending loads of time with very little achieved.. Also had problems when attaching records, but thats another story so think I'll stop there or I'll be on here all night.
I'm very disappointed with Genes Reunited. !!!

Helen

Helen Report 3 Sep 2012 20:32

KathyS

I agree with everything you said, it is so annoying, they are quick enough to take our money though!

I registered with Scotlands People and have progressed a bit more with Census info, so that will keep me going for another few days, maybe by then GR will have sorted themselves out.

Do they actually read our FAQ's?

I think not!!

:-S

Unknown

Unknown Report 4 Sep 2012 20:55

In the past I have printed the whole tree, infact am looking at 7 sheets of A4 stuck together on the wall.

This latest versions seems to not allow printing of full tree- which is a real drag as I have added several new relations i didn't know I had!

Better printing is a must.

LadyScozz

LadyScozz Report 10 Sep 2012 12:37

hahaha

I printed my tree about 5 years ago, stuck it all together and had a roll long and wide enough to cover a wall! It was the worst jigsaw puzzle I've ever done.

My tree has grown considerably since then (20,000+) and I wouldn't even think of printing it.

I don't have enough sticky tape. Not sure if I'd have enough wall space.

Martin

Martin Report 22 Oct 2012 23:15

I have a tree with only 158 relatives. When I try to print it out the middle third is blank. GR told me that they are working on the problem. That was a year ago and they still say the same thing. I'd like to have something for other people to see stuck up on my wall. I'm thinking of switching to ancestry.co.uk. Will try their current 1 day trial before deciding.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 23 Oct 2012 07:27

If you look at the Help Pages you will see that the problem is ongoing.

" We know that some members are having problems printing their trees at the moment, and we're really sorry about this. We're still making a number of improvements to the tree, including the printing function.

If you’re having problems, as a temporary solution, try exporting your tree from the site as a Gedcom file. Then you can print it offline using a family tree software package such as Family Tree Maker or Personal Ancestral File."

That said, unless you have a very small tree there is no point in printing it all out, so as far as I am concerned it doesn't bother me as with several thousand names in mine I wouldn't even attempt to.

I only ever print from my Tree program on my PC, and never the entire tree. Depending on the audience I tend to use either a Descendant or Pedigree chart to show the basic details and relationship structure of the particular branch of interest and / or a Descendant or Ahnentefal Report where more detailed information is required.

Helen

Helen Report 13 Feb 2013 19:17

February 2013
Decided to check tonight if there was any new update for Printing the Tree, sad to say (they are still working on the problem)

:-| :-| :-S :-S

Simon

Simon Report 4 Mar 2013 17:34

Helen,

I always export my tree from GR as a Gedcom and open it into Family Tree Maker on my laptop if I ever want to print out any of it. With c30,000 names it's never going to print from GR - and it would cover a football pitch or two if I tried! (Actually, with all the in-breeding and marriages of cousins, etc, it would probably be in 3 dimensions!)

I recently printed off just the section of the descendants of one of my gt gt grandfathers so I could display it at a family party (of c60 cousins/spouces/children) so people could see how we were related. Needless to say it was much admired!

Simon :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 4 Mar 2013 19:24

well, at least they ARE working on it!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 21 Mar 2013 12:18

Nikhila - this isn't really the right place to ask as it is about printing your tree from the GR site.

Briefly in reply, you need parish records. The folllowing thread might help with irish ones as it gives links to various sites

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/951721

It might be an idea if you were to start a thread of your own on Genealogy Chat

Caldervale

Caldervale Report 24 Mar 2013 00:32

After reading some and passing over some comments it would seem that large trees are rather problematic to print and that any member requiring a printout is asked to patiently wait for the new method regarding a full tree. I have been informed Genes Reunited has been having words with my printer which has apparently informed G.R.it, the printer, cannot handle a tree as large as mine.
About 900 family members " reside" in it all recorded without a murmur. As a long time member with every respect for Genes Reunited I am patiently waiting as requested for that golden day to arrive. Meanwhile part trees are printed and no problems arise. Collected many surnames via the hobby. Arthurs, Bacon, Blake, Bridle, Burton, Cortes, Finch, Gould, Gurr, Jennings, Rhodes, Towell, Vaughan ,Wilkinson, Winder to mention a few alphabetically. Regards. Caldervale