Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I AM STAYING WITH THIS SITE........

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 2 Sep 2012 10:10

.........despite the changes.

As a continuous member since 2003, I pay less than £10 pa to be a member of GR which I think is brilliant value for money.

Admittedly, there have been times when I have moaned, groaned and generally complained about something or other, but I have also given praise when improvements have been made. Due to personal circumstances, I am on the site for several hours most days.

Yes, the tree format has changed but I have taken my time, twiddled around, looked at the advice given and have come to grips with it - I think - but I am always willing to learn more.

Despite the faults which crop up, I love using this site as the members on the Community Boards are friendly, helpful and some interesting topics are often raised.

May I, therefore, SUGGEST, that others who are, in the main, generally happy with this site, please say so?

'tis Sunday - back later ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ;-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Sep 2012 10:23

Yes, I'll stay as well.

The help offered with research (or anything else for that matter!) by fellow members is second to none. For that reason alone its worth the standard membership.

wisechild

wisechild Report 2 Sep 2012 12:30

Haven´t looked at my tree for about 4 years. Use other sites for researching, but will be remaining as a standard member for all the reasons already mentioned.

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 2 Sep 2012 12:38

Eloquently put Cynthia, you sweet talking little devil you.

I agree the annual cost that I pay, which incidentally is twice what you pay, still represents good value for money in this day and age. Where else can you get a years worth of entertainment, education and help with your genealogy queries for just under £10 or just under £20.

The site may not be perfect but what site is? There may be some concerns about some of the changes made recently and perhaps some of these concerns may be justified. Overall however the site provides its members with a low cost opportunity to seek help when they need it and to be able to offer help to others who may need it. A good deal for all concerned.

My only concern about your post is that some petty minded individual with an over active self importance gland might refer it for review since strictly speaking it is not a suggestion for changes you would like to see made to Genes Reunited. ;-)

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 2 Sep 2012 14:08

Yes, I would like to stay. Particularly if you invite me Cynthia :-D :-D :-D

Doubt I will use tree much again (if at all) :-( :-(

Kense

Kense Report 2 Sep 2012 15:17

Yes I'll stay and use the new tree. In fact I have used it more in the last six weeks than in the previous six months.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 2 Sep 2012 20:02

Very well put, Cynthia

I have moaned and groaned about GR many times over the years since I joined in 2004 .............. especially at certain times in 2007, and during the past year.

I have been vocal about problems, both to GR and on the Boards when problems have arisen ........ I'm sure that, at times, I must have been one of their biggest pains in you-know-where.

I do not use my tree .............. it was a tool to get me started on my family research, but I quickly found that the majority of people who contacted me on this site had less information than I did. I was generous with sharing ............ and I then discovered that every Hot Match was with someone to whom I had given the information. So, no reason to keep going

BUT ..............

............... the greatest value of GR has always been in its Community Boards .............. in the help provided by members to members ........... breaking down brick walls or advice on how to do that.

This, after all, is how GR got started ........ first providing the tree building facility (for free!), then adding a General Chat Board where members could make contact and discuss both general matters and genealogical ones. A small subscription was instituted to pay for this ..... I think it was something like £5 a year.

By the time I joined in 2004, the subscription was still £5, and there were several Boards ......... splitting off the genealogical chat and searches from the general chat.

The subscription went up to £7.50 in either 2005 or 2006.

The General Chat Board has always been one of the most popular ........ GR's idea of a "meeting place" for members really worked out, and there are lots of members from the very early days who still post on there but do very little genealogical work.

It has also been great to see the way in which helpers will work with other helpers to find obscure and hidden information .......

............. almost never has anyone EVER made comments such as "I'm already helping this person, go away" or "hang on, give me a chance to help".

I love the way helpers will congratulate each other when one has solved a particular sticky problem.

Everyone pitches in

Not to mention friendships developed while working together.

For all these reasons ............

....... I will continue to pay my less than £10 annual sub for the foreseeable future.

and, I might add, that I have tried adding a name to the new tree ................. and had no problem :-D

sylvia

let's hope that this thread stays, and is not RR'd or removed by GR

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 2 Sep 2012 20:36

I shall stay as well. I have just renewed my sub - reduced to £7.96 for 6 months (don't know why, but not complaining).

I do my tree off-line, but visit the boards most days and help where I can.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 2 Sep 2012 20:46

It would be rather silly of GR to remove a thread which is 'positive' to their site as opposed to those which have a very 'negative' view..........but, as many of us know....stranger things have happened on these boards... :-D

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 2 Sep 2012 23:45

I am staying...for all of the reasons given by members above who can write far more articulate than I ever could :-D

Linda

Island

Island Report 3 Sep 2012 00:19

Less than 8 quid a year so I'm a happy bunny.

I'm staying :-D

SueMaid

SueMaid Report 3 Sep 2012 01:18

I shall stay too. It took a little time to get used to the new tree layout but I like it. I love going on the community boards and I have had some incredible help off other members on here. I also agree about the cost - cheap as chips :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Sep 2012 01:36

I think that, so far, the ones who like the site and intend to stay, and also like the tree, have been the silent percentage of the members.

I wonder how many people do like the new tree?

jax

jax Report 3 Sep 2012 02:40

I have only just renewed, so I am staying for the next 6 months

Sylvia its your job to pm the 12,900,000+ plus members and ask them...some maybe dead, but dont worry...if you dont get a reply you can always start a thread complaining about it :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Sep 2012 03:49

:-D :-D :-D :-D

JustJohn

JustJohn Report 3 Sep 2012 07:51

Jax Good idea for Sylvia to write. Even better idea for Genes to write and do some simple customer research. I have suggested on another thread that they should solicit 500 views of membership at random - not just us noisy ones. Possibly NONE of us noisy ones would be within that sample. Perhaps email the sample with a follow up phone call. And open and not loaded questions like "what do you think about our new and exciting layout"/

Whatever they decide with the tree finally, it is very doubtful I will ever use that facility much again. As I can no longer comfortably navigate tree and answer queries to hot matches, will try to remove my tree altogether. But am happy to pay a few pounds for basic membership and help with searches etc. Hence I support Cynthia's thread and give it my wholesome support.

I think, on experience over last month or so, that they will automatically count every dead member as very enthusiastic about the "exciting" changes.

And they will leap on the positiveness of this thread as clear evidence of good feedback. Any RR'ing will be a capital offence.

Rambling

Rambling Report 3 Sep 2012 11:30

I 'probably' won't be staying beyond December , but I will be back when I can afford it and eyes permitting. For all the reasons, friendship and help and being able to help, mentioned above.

. :-D

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Sep 2012 20:02

Rose

sorry to hear that you are still having the eye problems.

Do hope it will not be long before you are back again.

You will be missed :-)

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Sep 2012 20:04

John

do you mean "wholesome support"

or "wholehearted support"????

they do mean 2 different things. :-D

sylvia

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 Sep 2012 21:26

John

I guess the same applies to you ...............

............. no matter how many threads and posts you have written ...... yours is also only 1 vote for the tree. :-)

350 or so posts still only add up to 1 vote :-):-):-)

unless you are intending to overwhelm GR staff with your verbosity.

But PLEASE .............. can we get something straight

by layout ............ I mean the look of the Boards

I assume that by layout, you mean the TREE

I say nothing about the tree ................ except that I had not used it for at least 3 years until 3 weeks ago, when i tried adding a name. It then worked just fine for me.

However, I am not claiming to be happy with it because I NEVER INTEND TO USE IT AGAIN.

Comprenez vous????

I've told you before, several times ............... Please get the terms correct.

sylvia

ps ................. if you address me as SylviaInCanada one more time, I will send the proverbial cedar log over to you.

EDIT:- this was posted in response to a post from John, which he has since deleted