Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Signing in on receipt of e mail alert,

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 28 Nov 2012 14:31

And sometimes on opening Genes - twice this week (6th Dec).
There may well be a thread on this but I can't see one.

Although I am already on the boards, without having to sign in. When I then go to my emails (not PMs) and receive an alert about a message, if I click on the e mail to open the message I have to sign in (remember I am already signed in). If I then don't sign in but cancel that and come back on the boards I can access my message without signing in. Seems stupid to me!

Kense

Kense Report 28 Nov 2012 20:39

I have noticed that and so I go to the site to read messages rather than via the email. I have observed the same thing happens with messages from Anc'y.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 30 Nov 2012 12:32

It looks like a security thing? to avoid others that may have gained access to your email from opening the Private message on GR

However if it is it doesn't work for messages that you have already opened

If you have opened the message, Then go back to the email notification and use that same link it will take you to the message without having to sign in

Roy

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 6 Dec 2012 09:42

Hmm Interesting. And now this week I have had to sign in to reply to a thread when I first opened Genes, and I had not logged out. We had this problem some time back and I thought it had been cleared so what is happeneing now? :-S :-(

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 6 Dec 2012 12:54

When You have to sign in to reply to a thread it's usualy because GR have had/done an update and your cache/cookies does not recognise the page so although you think your still signed in? you are not,

The next time it happens instead of signing in go back to the previous page, use the back button, Then look at the page again, If you look at the page header you will note that you don't have the FULL menu list because your not signed in

Roy

Kense

Kense Report 6 Dec 2012 16:42

There are a couple of situations that I occasionally encounter that require me to sign in again.

If I have a GR page on display and leave the PC for a long enough for it to go into sleep mode.

Also I don't usually sign in to all the sites, so sometimes when I look at a link that someone has provided on a messageboard I don't notice that it is to another site. That puts me onto that site rather than co.uk and subsequently when I try to post I have to sign in, or to edit the current url.

AnninGlos

AnninGlos Report 10 Dec 2012 17:58

Thanks will watch out for that in future. Although I did check it was the usual co.nz which it was.