Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

reporting threads

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 28 Nov 2012 22:24

Sorry if this has been raised before - can't see anything but I'd be surprised if it hasn't been!
There are a number of threads by new members who have either double-posted or revealed too much info about living people, or even reveal their own email address. Most of us point out the problem and encourage the member to make changes, giving them time to do so before reporting the thread, and explaining why we have done so if it comes to it - which usually it doesn't.
However, there are certain individuals who report the threads anonymously, with no explanation, never mind giving the poster an opportunity to amend what they have put.
I do not think this should be allowed to be anonymous, and furthermore I think Genes should monitor this behaviour as I suspect it is the same people doing it.
Jan

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 29 Nov 2012 02:34

Yes, it has been raised before, Jan, and I have always said that people should not be allowed to report a thread anonymously. We are not allowed to post anything without revealing our board name so why should anyone be allowed to report a thread without giving their name?

Kense

Kense Report 29 Nov 2012 09:36

As far as inadvertant duplicate postings go, the reporting system is too heavy handed. It would be nice if the GR software detected it automatically and removed the duplicate.

Failing that it should be made possible to report it so that it is immediately removed without any stern warning being sent to the original poster.

From what I have seen, asking the poster to delete a duplicate thread never works. What usually happens is that someeone replies to the first post and then puts something like "Duplicate post please delete" on the second which then leapfrogs the first in the list. Consequently you get genuine replies on both threads.