Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

using the advanced search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Dec 2012 19:01

I get PM,s giving brief replies to something I have posted on a thread which often means nothing so I have to use advanced search when I cant find anything in MY Threads.

Now when looking I have No Idea which board it was on so its very frustrating to do umpteen searches on separate boards to find the one.

Why do the boards have to be searched separately ?? it would be better for it to be a general search of all boards

Kense

Kense Report 13 Dec 2012 21:02

Yes I quite agree Shirley.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 14 Dec 2012 06:01

I think it is likely to be for reasons of performance. Searching for multiple words (which is what the advanced search does) imposes a big load on the servers and restricting it to one board per search gives it half a chance of completing the search.

You can always search for single words using Quick Search and this does check all boards.

What I would like to see is the option to select My Threads as the search target

Kense

Kense Report 14 Dec 2012 09:00

Yes I think you are right there Inspector. I wish, however, that it did not default to th Announcements Board.

Quick search would be good if it returned the most recent posts first.

Estelle

Estelle Report 14 Dec 2012 09:13

Hi Shirley, we have been looking at improving the message board search. This is something that is currently being worked on. We would love to be able to give you really accurate search results that you can then filter to make sure you find the posts you are looking for.
Obviously this is a big project so please bear with us on this. I just wanted to let you know that it is something we are looking at.
Kind regards,
Estelle

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 14 Dec 2012 12:10

I first mentioned this back on 24th August 2012.

Would be good if something could be done on this.

Joy

Joy Report 16 Dec 2012 14:51

The search facility has not functioned properly for quite a while.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 16 Dec 2012 15:52

Thank you for the responses.

I take on board too Estelle's explanation doesn't solve tho the problems of trying to find threads to which responsders had thought they were giving details

Joy

Joy Report 17 Dec 2012 12:09

And

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1295830

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/boards/board/suggestions/thread/1303434