Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Electoral Rolls

Looking for living relatives?

Search our UK Electoral Rolls (2002-2013) and find your living relatives today.

Search Electoral Rolls

New electoral roll records

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

The Keepsafe is behaving strangely

Page 1 + 1 of 2

1. «
  2. 1
  3. 2
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 12 Jan 2013 16:14

Jeremy, if the gentleman from Worcester had a name as the photo title and this happened to be the same as a name on the Durham member's tree, then the only way to get corroberative evidence is to ask you.

It's like Hot Matches. Most were no connection, but every so often a new relation was found.

I have no photos etc attached to my tree. All the photos on Keepsafe are unidentified relatives and have been put there in the hope that someone with the same surname might recognise them.

I know it's a long shot, but you never know!

JerryH

JerryH Report 12 Jan 2013 18:08

Andysmum, sorry to disagree. In your case you want people to contact you and have presumably set the privacy option to shared.

In my case, I only want to share the photographs with those people I have given tree access that have a proven family connection.

That is what the word Private means.

If people think that I may be related to them then they can use the tree searches to identify an individual and send me a message giving details of how they are connected.
But they certainly DO NOT need to know I have a photograph on my tree and should NOT be using that alone as a basis for contact.

It seems as if I will need to re-name them all to say.. scan1 to scan 40 inclusive and then keep a file on my system to show who they really are.

Jeremy

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 15 Jan 2013 20:10

Does that mean, Ken, that any photos on one's computer can be somehow "taken" by the site and put in the keepsafe?

KenSE

KenSE Report 15 Jan 2013 21:55

I don't think photos can be taken legitimately from your computer.

The point I was making is that on the photo file you upload there is hidden data which may include a description that you have added.

See the following for the sort of info that may be on it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exchangeable_image_file_format

Joy Kentish Maid

Joy Kentish Maid Report 15 Jan 2013 22:00

Thank you, Ken.

So, as I had not uploaded the photo that appeared in the keepsafe, the issue remains unresolved.

Jennifer

Jennifer Report 1 Feb 2013 00:44

I am having great difficulty with keepsafe. I have put two photos into keepsafe and one into shared media, which my contacts are supposed to be able to view. Sadly they cannot, and nor can I see the photos that they have put in shared media for me to view.

Is there a problem with this? I cannot see what else to do, and finding it very frustrating.

Regards

Jenny

Estelle

Estelle Advisor Report 1 Feb 2013 09:29

Hi Jennifer,

when you add a photo to your keepsafe the default privacy setting is private, meaning no-one else can see it. In order for other members to find your photos in search results you need to make them public.

To change the privacy settings on one or more photos, when you are viewing your Keepsafe, tick the photos you'd like to make public. This will highlight a privacy box at the top of the page. If you click on this box you'll be able to change the privacy settings for the highlighted photos and make them public. When you make a photo public it means it will appear in the search results when other members search photos and media. Don't forget to give your photos a title, making it easier for other members to see who the photo is of or where it was taken.

If you need any further help please contact our customer support team who will be happy to help you - support@genesreunited.co.uk.

Kind regards,

Estelle

Simon

Simon Report 2 Feb 2013 18:10

In Phil's Blog

http://www.genesreunited.co.za/blog/phil-moir/archive/2012/10/8/new-feature-focus-keepsafe-and-relative-profiles

He says...

"Private items still appear in search results, in a heavily disguised blurred state, along with the title and a contact link. Non members can perform a search and see public items as thumbnails, but only registered members can see the full details."

Certainly, my understanding was that even if a photo is marked 'Private', if the name matches the search pattern then the photo will be displayed albeit in a very blurred (totally unidentifable) way, with the following information beside it ( - I searched for 'Melville' for example):

Melville

Click here to request the owner's permission to view

Last updated on 22 Jan 2013 18:19
or:

Alexander Melville Bell family

Click here to request the owner's permission to view

Last updated on 29 Jul 2012 14:42

So, Jeremy, if you have uploaded photos to the Keepsafe, even using the default Private marking, the existence of these pictures will be available to others to see.

Try doing a search for 'Photos and media' and search for a random surname, 'Family photos' and 'Private. Not shared with anyone.' and do NOT tick the 'Include own items' box. You will get a selection of blurred out photos matching those criteria. (If you tick the 'include own items' box, the same set of blurred pics appears but also all of your own pictures that match the search criteria will appear unblurred. However, this is just so that you can see your own pictures clearly. they do not appear that way to other members.)

The Search method for photos is not very clever at the moment as it does Not search on the name of persons to whom the photo is linked but on the photo Title. It might be better (more akin to 'Hot matches') if it searched on the linked individuals.

Incidentally, if you 'Click here to request the owner's permission to view' it generates one of those ghastly 'standard' request messages...

"Dear Simon Melville,

Please would you give me access to see the image "xxxxxxx"?

Kind regards,"

Without any reason why the request is being made...