Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Genes Extras

Genes Reunited subscription bonuses

As a way of saying thank you to our subscribers, we have launched Genes Extras. You'll find exclusive competitions and discounts on family history magazines, days out and much more.

Take me to Genes Extras

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Duplicated Posts and Returning to Threads

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 May 2013 21:35

Thank you PP. Natasha said they thought the existing system was OK.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 24 May 2013 20:05

I suggested this a few years ago and was slapped down by other members. So I removed my post!!!

I think it is a great idea.

So as it is a good idea it will obviously not be implemented!!!!

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 24 May 2013 16:23

Have you seen Natasha's latest round-up?

This is one suggestion that won't be implemented. Never mind - at least I tried.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 7 May 2013 17:41

Billiant idea :-D :-D :-D

jax

jax Report 4 May 2013 22:41

Did'nt we have somekind of drop down instruction type message a couple of years ago?

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 4 May 2013 22:33

Thank you. Let's hope Genes agree with you.

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 4 May 2013 17:47

Excellent idea,

This sort of help is offered on many sites these days. The message appears as a little window in the centre of the screen and there is a tick box at the bottom which says 'Don't show me this again' for those who no longer need to see the message.

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 4 May 2013 15:15

There are often threads, or posts on threads, complaining about members (usually newbies) who ask the same question on more than one Board and/or don't return to look at their thread until prompted.

They don't read any of the helpful "how to" threads because the "Add Topic" button is at the top of the Board and therefore the first, and only, thing they see.

I would like to suggest that the first line on the Community drop-down menu should be "Start a New Topic". When you click on this you then get a message saying something on the lines of:

First decide which is the most suitable Board for your comment/question. Please do not put the same thing on several different Boards.

If you are asking for help, the first replies are often posted within two or three minutes, so please return to your thread after a short while to see what response you have had.

To return to your thread, click on "My Threads" which is under Tools on the left of the screen or near the bottom of the Community drop-down menu.

Now choose your Board.

Below this would be a button saying Continue, which would return the poster to the list of Boards.

Experienced members would, of course, be able to by-pass all this and go straight to the Board of choice, as they do now.