Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Organizing bought GRO certificates in binders

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 27 May 2013 19:47

Hello. Since I started my tree on Genes Reunited (2008), I have been buying my British relatives' BMD certificates and putting them in plastic sleeves in A-4 binders. I have three binders, one for every major branch of the tree that we know about. There is one for my Granddad's family (the Turners); one for my Great-Grandmother's family (the Smiths), since my dad was close to a lot of his grandma's sisters from spending so much time with them during WWII while his father was in the war; and one for my Grandma's family (the Crees).
I want to reorganize these binders, trying to find the best way to do it. I really don't think A-Z is the best way, because families will be scattered all through the books, and it will be hard to follow.
What I really want to do is put immediate families together, putting them in birth order (since I know this), finishing off one relative's immediate family before moving on.
However, I have thought of one obstacle so far -- I have certs that pertain to some of my grandmothers' parents and siblings (in past generations). How do I organize those; where should they go? Before that couple even starts, or somewhere else?
Any thoughts/suggestions are welcome! :-)

Kate Turner

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 27 May 2013 22:18

Not really the best board for this thread.

Hope you are storing the certs in acid free pockets.

CupCakes

CupCakes Report 28 May 2013 09:02

A bit like me - the only difference is that if one person's line has more docs than others I label & slip them in a new plastic folder.

Then those people I help I keep all their docs completely seperate.

I was thinking myself of finding a better way to keep them all.
I do make sure every doc is online somewhere though.

Sound a real sado don't I

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 28 May 2013 15:39

I keep all my paperwork for each person together in their family files.

So I have 4 Fowler files will all the info I have found for each person including BMDs etc. and the same for all my other surnames

The only thing I do not keep in the files any more are the census returns (unless something out of the ordinary is shown)

And my files vary from the quite thin to the big wide ones. And I only use 4 ring binders (cannot abide the 2 ring ones as they just to not support inserts/papers sufficiently) though I often find I have to go to a proper stationers (rather than Smiths) for them.
:-)

Renes

Renes Report 7 Jun 2013 08:41

PP

I have searched for 4 ring binders, to no avail ... Do your binders have a makers name on them please

if so maybe I could track them down....

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 7 Jun 2013 12:29

Get mine from Amazon - just enter 'a4 4 ring binders' and up they pop

I know they are not easy to get hold of which is why I now get them via Amazon.

I think I also got a couple from Staple/Office World, but really had to search all the bindes to hand as the vast majority we the 2 ring binders which are totally useless...

:-D :-D

Renes

Renes Report 7 Jun 2013 13:50

Thank you ......much appreciated ...

we have tried Staples/Office World without success ... did not think of Amazon , which i use a lot

:-D

Renes

Renes Report 7 Jun 2013 13:56

Sorry .... old age strikes again ...... It is 3 ring binders we want

- if you ever see them .......

Thank you for replying

:-D

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 7 Jun 2013 21:58

I get mine from Empire Imports. Just another idea... :-)

GenealogyResearchAssistance

GenealogyResearchAssistance Report 7 Jun 2013 23:10

I organise mine into Birth, Marriage and Death and then file everyone in alphabetical order. I also scan them into the computer for easy access