Suggestions

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Previous contact.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Nick

Nick Report 29 Jul 2013 00:15

I know this has probably been suggested before,so I apologize.
When checking for possible tree matches and it says prior contact,is there any way,that there can be a link to the correspondence sent.
Yes you can search messages and you might find,difficult in the person is a female,married single name.
Or keep a printed record,of every one you have corresponded with over the last 8 years

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 29 Jul 2013 16:50

Look at 'my contacts' in your message centre?

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 29 Jul 2013 20:12

Reggie

Looking at my contacts in the message centre just lists all your contacts and this is what I think is Nicks problem.

As I no longer have a tree on here, yesterday I deleted all 20 pages of 'my contacts' and I was amazed at how many had no relation shown....

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 29 Jul 2013 22:39

If you go to the "my contacts" then click on any contacts name,

It with then give you the contacts details,

Then under that section it will list all Correspondence with that member

Folder, Subject, and Date.

Click on the subject line to see the relevant PM

Roy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 30 Jul 2013 12:29

Precisely, PP

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 31 Jul 2013 06:35

Nick has a very valid request which I fully support.

The issue is with identifying the correct member within your contacts list in the first place.

No big deal if you only have a couple of pages of contacts to look at but a real nightmare when you have over 80 pages as I do.

What is needed is a direct link to the member from the search / matches page. This would open the contact details directly, without having to search through the contacts list.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 31 Jul 2013 12:18

IGP, I have a similar amount of contacts and have no problem what so ever in identifying which contact I had prior contact with and accessing our previous correspondence

I simply click on the "find out more" button which then gives me the option of sending another message and it also gives me the members details, Full Name and member number, I can then use the name to search Messages and the My contacts list also has a Filter Results facility to id the correct member and messages.

Not sure how these would work "IF" you deleted the contact from your list but equaly I would have thought that if you had deleted then even GR would struggle to id the contact

Roy

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 1 Aug 2013 19:32

I know you can find the member by one means or another, but I'd rather not to have to start searching messages and contacts when the system could take me straight there via the members ID.

As the member ID is a record key in both the source and target records, it makes it a relatively trivial programming exercise to implement.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 2 Aug 2013 00:34

IGP, You have a point but the member ID doesn't solve the problem of having to search messages

The suggestion is to have a link to the correspondence sent?

Most of my correspondence sent and received is not "single" messages so any link would only be able to send me to the "Contact" as listed in the My Contacts section and as I stated in my post above 29 Jul 2013 22:39

Unless GR had the "link" directing me to the very first message sent or received in which case I would possibly still need to search messages as most first contacts I receive are not very specific, usualy just the normal "can I see your tree, or who did john smith marry" and so i usualy need to reply asking for more into in order to identify the possible link between there's and my tree.

Roy

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 15 Aug 2013 15:32

Perhaps I didn't explain it too well.

A single click would open the member details page directly - that is the enhancement I would make.

It has the same effect as if you had searched your contacts list and clicked on the name, but much quicker.

Then, as Roy has described, you can then see all correspondence with that particular member at the bottom of the screen, and click on the subject line to see the relevant PM.